Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 AM
AK Member

Great Little Radio Radio Shack AM/FM/SW Dynamo Radio 20-238

I just bought a Radio Shack AM/FM/SW Dynamo Radio with Light, part number 20-238. I think it is made by Grundig, since it shares many features with it. It was only $29.99 on sale right now and after testing it against many other radios there, it outperformed them all. I didn't get to test it against the more expensive models like the S350 or G6 Eton, but did against the G1000, FR-350, FR-200 and one other more expensive little radio which I found very unintuitive to use. The Grundig G1000 was probably the next best and I found it very easy to use, but just didn't seem to pull in stations as well. I did all testing while inside the Radio Shack store, one clerk said I wouldn't pick up anything on shortwave inside the store, well the Radio Shack radio did. I was really impressed how long it would play with just a few cranks of the magneto. The FR-200 barely lasted a few minutes with a few cranks, maybe defective? I opened and tested several examples, and did find some variation between them, one kept ticking on AM band, another seemed to be way off on the dial calibration, not that you can really tell what station your on because the dial is so small and a the dial is really course, good thing they provided a fine tuning knob, I found I used it more than the bigger dial. I found I would try to catch a signal with the big dial, turn the fine tuning knob and be able to pick up 2-3 more stations. Last night I was picking up San Francisco, Atlanta, Houston, New Jersey (Nassau), Colorado and many others I didn't spend long enough to hear the call signs on AM. On shortwave I picked up Taiwan, Japan, China, India, Russia (I think?), Cuba, Canada, many Spanish speaking stations, Sweden and others I wasn't patient enough to sit and wait to hear their call signs. I wish this thing had an external antenna connection, it would probably be even more impressive. The cell phone charger wasn't even that big of consideration, I was just looking for a decent DX'er radio for portable use. I been contemplating the Degen DE1103 but this was local and $29.99, how can you beat it? The light is pretty bright, there is no AC adapter but you can go hours with a few cranks. Sound quality isn't bad either and sounds even better with headphones. I was also picking up staions on FM my best tuners have trouble bringing in. It is pure analog tuning, no digital readout, no backlight, no external antenna connection, only thing it comes with is cell phone adapters for charging your phone with, of course mine isn't included. I woke this morning gave the radio a few cranks about 7:00 am and now it's about 9:20 am and it's still going strong. I'm really amazed such an inexpensive radio can perform this well, plus I thought it would be handy to have if the power ever goes out. The sale is on until Sept. 16th and there is a black version with a nice non-slip coating on it for $39.99, same radio but $10.00 more. If your looking for a little portable for camping or to keep around for an emergency or just want to play with, go check it out and make sure you try a few models before you get one, quality control seems to vary.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 AM
AK Member

It's 10:40 a.m. now, about 3.5 hours since I last cranked it, listening to Austrian radio.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well ! Just might hafta get one-the R390As need a kid brother...<grin>
Old 09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Well ! Just might hafta get one-the R390As need a kid brother...<grin>
Man can you imagine how big a hand crank generator would take to keep that R390A live

Lefty

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft
Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 PM
AK Member

Update, I went to the other Radio Shack, they had the black version marked $29.99 instead of $39.99 like it was suppose to, so they sold it to me for $29.99. Seem to be identical to the other one, but I liked the black non-skid rubberized finish better. I did get to test the Grundig S350 there, even better AM than the one I bought, but SW was lacking.

Sandy, I have no experience with SW before I bought this radio, but I bet you'll be surprised with the SW peformance of this little radio. The other one I bought is still going after cranking it this morning. I think I'll see how long it lasts. I'm going to try them both out tonight and see if I can tell any difference, so far I can't. They had two black versions there, one seemed just a tick better sensitivity, and the dial wasn't as far off. If you do go buy one, tell the clerk to let you test them before you buy one. Afterall, they are made in China at probably .25 cents an hour wages.
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2006, 07:55 PM
On Land

I've often thought of buying a crank radio. Sounds like the one you picked out does a great job for that price.

Picking up Houston from Illinois? Wow... you must have found 740 KTRH.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 PM
AK Member

Well I checked one out when I was out today because of your posting. I do like the emergency capabilities of the receiver, however I was just not impressed with the look and feel of the unit. Anyone that was had exposure with even a mid level SW would not be happy with the tuning feel, lack of BFO, small bandspread, etc. Tuning was pretty touchy on the SW band.

Maybe if they had just made it as a AM/FM only emergency reciever my expectations would not have been so high.

So I passed, but I do aprechiate the tip and it's not a bad radio and is based on a very good idea, power free emergency radio, I would rather hold out for something a little higher quality.

Anyone know of something like this but in a higher quality?

Lefty

134.84 ft
Old 09-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I don't think even MacGyver or The Professor on Gilligan's Island could jury-rig a way to "crank-power an R-390....
Old 09-16-2006, 10:26 PM
On Land

Lefty, I too like a durable "feeling" of a portable radio. I've picked up some radios to look at, and notice the cabinets seem kinda cheesy feeling. I don't waste any time putting those back on the shelf.

I will likely look into one when I get home again (i'm on the ship right now in Galveston) and possibly make a purchase... mainly for power outtage/emergency use.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:33 PM
AK Member

Lefty, I think the Grundig makes a FR250 that is hand cranked SW. There is also a FR200 that does TV but no SW. I tried the FR200 and liked this one better. I admit the SW tuning is very touchy, you have to turn the dial very slowly, then fine tune it. The black model feels much better with the rubberized finish on it. I haven't tried the FR250 though, it could be what your looking for. I basically chose this radio for it's cheap price, emergency use, and overall tuning performance. It beat out many much more expensive models.
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Lefty, I too like a durable "feeling" of a portable radio. I've picked up some radios to look at, and notice the cabinets seem kinda cheesy feeling. I don't waste any time putting those back on the shelf.

I will likely look into one when I get home again (i'm on the ship right now in Galveston) and possibly make a purchase... mainly for power outtage/emergency use.
The $30 sale ends today, so $40 when you get back in

Lefty

134.84 ft
Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTana
Lefty, I think the Grundig makes a FR250 that is hand cranked SW. There is also a FR200 that does TV but no SW. I tried the FR200 and liked this one better. I admit the SW tuning is very touchy, you have to turn the dial very slowly, then fine tune it. The black model feels much better with the rubberized finish on it. I haven't tried the FR250 though, it could be what your looking for. I basically chose this radio for it's cheap price, emergency use, and overall tuning performance. It beat out many much more expensive models.
Yes, I saw the black model there also and it did look better then the gray model. Again probably would be a great emergency AM/FM radio if sold for around $20 or less. For $40 I would want better features and quality, and the sale at $30 just put it in the middle of my decision making logic, so I passed before I got a headache

Lefty

134.84 ft
Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 AM
AK Member

Looks like the sale has been extended until Sept 27th. I was picking up the Phillipines on AM the other night with it. Wish it did have more features, for $30.00 what do you expect?