Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Two months of this crap and now I'm watching registrations get rejected within hours. I'm positive whoever is moderating registrations has their head completely up their ass.

I have not seen this kind of paranoia since I screwed with Flat Earth Society forums a decade ago.
If they don't take this last registration, get f****d EaglesDen.

lmao:

You know it is possible that if one of your proposed usernames is similar to the one from your flat earth days there may be a flat-earther mod on the Beagle'sDen that remembers blocking your application.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

And to think I was the only one who could grind an axe for that long....
Old 11-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
If they don't take this last registration, get f****d EaglesDen.

They had it coming.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sheesh! This woulda been easier if it had a TBI.

Nice thing is you have all the technical info.

I've been fooling around with Bosch K-Jet on an old Peugeot, everything there relies on correct fuel pressure, and correctly routed vacuum lines
Old 11-10-2018, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
And the envelope, please...

Code:
*         STUPIDEST CAR CHOICE OF 2018         *
*                          MIPS                                  *
*   "Bought a 1982 AMC Eagle for $2000,          *
*  However needs $3500 Transmission rebuild" *
The Prophecy was fulfilled.
Well, I guess that writes off any personal expenses for the next six months.

The transmission was dropped and an inspection was performed. The fluid was found to be burned indeed while particles were found in the filter and the pump had failed. A used transmission is not available (that I already knew) so the only viable solution is to have this transmission torn down and completely rebuilt, which at the least comes with an 80000km warranty. Now that figure is worst-case. If they find components in the transmission are still good that cost will go down but this is still a costly mistake.
whoa, I have to catch up reading on this, but you should have a 998 or 904 in that right? and in some cases the 727 can be fit...rebuilt, $1000 oughta do it and the R&R aint that bad, about an hour each way if you are experienced

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Audiokarma
Old 11-10-2018, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post

Also, why would you swear off automatic transmissions? Do you have ANY idea how much money it costs to rebuild a manual transmission? LOL you funny guy! Last manual transmission I rebuilt was maybe $4-5k, and MY prices are actually reasonable.

couple hundred on an M50d, a little less for an SROD, 3G for a vw M6...it all depends

Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
couple hundred on an M50d, a little less for an SROD, 3G for a vw M6...it all depends
Dude, I'm a transmission mechanic, and even I don't know what you're talking about lol.

Also, he already had the trans rebuilt.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Dude, I'm a transmission mechanic, and even I don't know what you're talking about lol.

Also, he already had the trans rebuilt.
yes, I had 6 more pages of reading to do, but M5OD is a mazda built, ford used 5spd with overdrive from the 80s 90s etc, SROD is also a ford et al used 3spd + od used with many gearsets and many forms everywhere - ford, jeep etc and the VW trans is the 6spd they adopted in mid 00's what has to have the input bearings replaced from the inside and is a miserable biotch to work on. point is, the first 2 manuals, inout, output bearings, seals, bushings etc, excluding hard parts like gears are only a couple hundred in parts and a few hours of your life and most people can do them on their front porch while sipping mint juleps.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

I hope that damn transmission never gives me another problem ever again, or in the next 80000km.

Last edited by MIPS; 11-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:11 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
point is, the first 2 manuals, inout, output bearings, seals, bushings etc, excluding hard parts like gears are only a couple hundred in parts and a few hours of your life and most people can do them on their front porch while sipping mint juleps.
You misunderstand. I'm a legit transmission mechanic. I was trying to say that paying a proper mechanic to R&R and rebuild a manual transmission is an expensive thing nowadays. Parts may be only a couple hundred, but that's also true of automatic transmissions. It's really just a market thing, nobody rebuilds manual's anymore, so the going rate has gone way up.

Not to mention the fact that, no, MOST people could not, in fact, rebuild any transmission on their porch. At least, not if my imbecile customers are any indication of the average motorist's intelligence.

Last edited by MadMan; 11-12-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
You misunderstand. I'm a legit transmission mechanic. I was trying to say that paying a proper mechanic to R&R and rebuild a manual transmission is an expensive thing nowadays. Parts may be only a couple hundred, but that's also true of automatic transmissions. It's really just a market thing, nobody rebuilds manual's anymore, so the going rate has gone way up.

Not to mention the fact that, no, MOST people could not, in fact, rebuild any transmission on their porch. At least, not if my imbecile customers are any indication of the average motorist's intelligence.
Now the cost of rebuilding manuals makes sense to me.

Just about anyone who drives the newest cars and can't turn a wrench--or even use their mirrors--is an imbecile. Any imbecile who can use a manual at all probably burns them up pretty fast.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Now the cost of rebuilding manuals makes sense to me.

Just about anyone who drives the newest cars and can't turn a wrench--or even use their mirrors--is an imbecile. Any imbecile who can use a manual at all probably burns them up pretty fast.
I had to have a clutch replaced once, but not a manual transmission. The pressure plate went bad, too much city driving.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I had to have a clutch replaced once, but not a manual transmission. The pressure plate went bad, too much city driving.
That's the only drawback to a manual in my opinion. I get bored easily with automatics so an occasional clutch replacement would be worth the tradeoff. I'd just learn to replace them myself, that's how I get almost everything else done.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Winter update.

Pretty much nothing happened because the Transmission bill was only paid in full as of two days ago so I could not purchase new tools and it got dry and really cold so working on the interior wasn't happening.
But it did snow last night, so even without jackstands it was a good time to see if the 4WD was REALLY stuck in the engaged position. The answer is no as it failed to climb the driveway. The Eagle is interesting because in the 82 model it went from AWD to full-time 4WD using the SlectDrive system which with one vacuum switch engages the transfer case and locks the front axle.

The problem however is the actuators are also valves, so if one gets stuck the entire system fails. The front axle actuator hides under a skidplate and is a part of the axle assembly and has no manual control. You better hope it fails in the locked position. The Transfer Case actuator however is accessible through a hole in the transfer case skid plate and can be manually operated with a 9/16 spanner. When doing so however there was a hiss that came from somewhere along the route of the vacuum lines, so there is a leak somewhere, otherwise the front DID fail in the locked position and this morning was a joyful ride through the snow and unploughed streets, pointing and laughing at people in their Ford/GMC/Dodge trucks and SUV's who were spinning out or otherwise were stuck in six inches of snow.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:43 PM
The Resident Brony

Ah, the 80s...

Vacuum lines. Vacuum lines EVERYWHERE.
Audiokarma