Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 PM
I love old stuff

Any one still use a land (fixed) telephone line?

I'm curios, is anybody left around here that still use a land (fixed) telephone line?
I still use, but if they going to have the bad ideea of puting me on V.o.I.P., I might quit it... for me the Copper wire is the only true landline.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 PM
M is for Memory

Technically I have wired phone. It comes through the cable TV service coax along with internet and TV...It even supports pulse dialing so I have some 1940's-60's phones connected.

Some friends of mine when they got houses did not bother to get a number for the building, but still wanted the phone wires in the walls to have a purpose so they got a Bluetooth adapter...All the old wired phones they have now act as bluetooth headsets to their cell...It is kinda handy if your phone is charging in a far room of the house and you want to answer or make a call without getting up.

My family has a cabin up north far enough in the wilderness that the only utilities are electricity and twisted pair phone wiring (we never signed up for phone)...A year or two back I was curious and bored so I tried patching in to the phone utility box for the buried cable on the edge of the property and confirmed dial tone existed...That is probably the newest twisted pair system I've seen. Most here in the states are older than me and often TERRIBLY neglected by the utility. Many are missing their covers and have garbage bags jip tied over to try and keep the rain out...In Florida ten years ago (last place I lived where we had it for long enough for me to use it) the system was not great...If there was a big rainstorm the lines would get wet enough to malfunction.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I still have a copper POTS line.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yup, and it's all I use, I can't be bothered with cell phones.

I even have some old four-conductor telephone wire that I salvaged from someone's junk pile, and what's left of a surface-mount wall plug.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 AM
I love old stuff

Why 4 wires an not 2?
In U.S.A., they would install you a telephone line at an farm or cabin even if you are 4 miles away from another telephone line?
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 AM
Peanut Head

Nope...AT&T yourself let their phone lines die and rot away several decades ago. Had a serviceman...the last of two remaining of paid employees, tell me that even though the squirrels had eaten thru all the lines going all the way out to the main highway...they had NO intention of replacing any of them and that I should just get a cell phone "like this one"....he pulled out a cellphone out of his pocket and found that AT&T didn't have any signal in this area. Oh well....I cancelled my phone line and went out to Altell and purchased a new cellphone. And guess what! I was able to call all over the state and United Snakes without any long distance fee. So, f**k AT&T!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:35 AM
I love old stuff

Gone are the days of Ma Bell
Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a land line. It was a traditional twisted pair until a few months ago, they came and changed over my drop from copper to fiber optic. Kind of neat having fiber right to my house! The phone company here (Telus) has survived by selling internet and tv services, the land line is almost thrown into the the price of other services. I can't be too nostalgic about the phone company, I don't really miss the bad old days of extremely high long distance charges. I do kind of miss Nortel though, they made such great quality phones, and in Canada too.

Last edited by maxhifi; 01-15-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I still have a landline as the mobile (cell) phone signal here is not very good, sometimes you get a signal & sometimes you don't. I always try my cell phone first for outgoing calls as the first 100 mins (national & EU) a month are free, the landline (Virgin Media) charges except at weekends when national calls are free...
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Why 4 wires an not 2?
In U.S.A., they would install you a telephone line at an farm or cabin even if you are 4 miles away from another telephone line?
Depends... Most homes at least by the 40's were on the inside outlets wired with 4 wire cable even if the wire going between the pole and your house was only 2 wire.... one reason was so a second line could be easily added with out pulling new wire to each outlet... also some older phones were 3 wire...Red green and yellow... those work on 2 wire if you tie the yellow into the green... there was some purpose for the 3rd wire but I have forgotten it in the.1-2 decades since I was told.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM
I love old stuff

I think it was for party lines.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm curios, is anybody left around here that still use a land (fixed) telephone line?
I still use, but if they going to have the bad ideea of puting me on V.o.I.P., I might quit it... for me the Copper wire is the only true landline.
I was using a landline close to 40 years until long distance became as issue.
In the city, I was even using DSL for my computer. Out here it wasn't available, but cable TV internet was! I went with cable telephone shortly after.
I have a pay-as-you-go cellphone, but I don't like the sound quality.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Why 4 wires an not 2?
Generally not, unless the phone company can get more subscribers to recover their investment of running the wiring that distance.
The POCO's won't do it either, unless the customer pays the cost of running the lines, which could cost $1000's.
Gas and water utilities, the same.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
...they going to have the bad ideea of puting me on V.o.I.P., I might quit it... for me the Copper wire is the only true landline.
That's what they did here. A few years ago AT&T hooked me up to fiber. Far superior internet, equal speeds up and down. Simply disconnected the old line at the junction box outside and plugged the phone jack on the modem into the existing house phone wiring. Great audio on the phone, quality probably on par with the old analog system when that didn't have static and noise on it, the old system was over 60 years old. Plus additional features like call blocking to let you block unwanted calls. BUT of course the VoiP relies on the modem working and backup batteries in case of a power outage. Their batteries will get you 1, 2 hours tops before it dies. I have all that plugged in to a good sized UPS for more backup time. Plus the AT&T Arris modem doesn't dial with a rotary phone. They excluded a pulse dial encoder.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Copper wires over here.. NO CELLPHONE...

SR
Audiokarma