Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Pony Express

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Testing: UK pickup to North America

Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb here to see what might be possible.
There's someone in the UK (no exact region was given) who is selling a relatively complete Tektronix 4051 in need of repair. Very fancy terminal and computer using a storage tube but it has an all-metal body and (with no stand) it's still around 75 pounds in weight with the rest of the parts included probably bringing that up to around 100 pounds. International freight seems to be hovering around $2000 CAD. I might want one of these systems but not that desperately.

I'm not thinking of many other affordable methods to move it even across the ocean unless I dunno, someone's moving and shipping their belongings by container? Final destination if possible is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest where I can make the last leg of the journey by car. Not sure if this one is viable or not.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

A friend of mine used to get bulky gear bought in Japan shipped over in the containers of a company that shipped cars and parts. At the time it was the cheapest way to do it as you as you could handle the wait and accept the possibility of damage (these guys were shipping cut up cars and parts, so weren't always gentle).

Perhaps there's someone shipping cars from the UK to the US that could do something similar? A long shot I know, but there may be someone enthusiasts for English cars doing it somewhere.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:26 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Any US service personnel in the UK that is PCS'ing (transferring) back to the US could include it in their household goods shipment....London, Portsmouth, Holy Loch, and the two AF bases have thousands of personnel, and 1/3 of them move every year......
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah I ran out of time on this one.
Oh well. One day I'll find another for a sensible price.