Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

DVB-T to PAL Conversion

A bit of post-divorce wanderlust has me thinking about taking a trip to Utrecht, Netherlands later this year. Would appreciate some suggestions on the DVB-T tuners and recorders and such that I see on eBay. Do those things really work? Is the composite video output 625 line PAL with stereo audio on the baseband outputs? I'm looking at something small and portable that I could record OTA TV while there. The idea of a small window antenna and small equipment appeals to me. I have a small Sony DVD recorder that records in PAL and runs on 220VAC 50Hz. It would have to share space with clothes and souvenirs.

Thanks!

John
W3XWT
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
M is for Memory

Why not get a USB DVB tuner dongle for your laptop? The USA market ATSC based ones (I think my NTSC/ATSC/QAM unit may also be DVB capable) are the size of a LARGE USB memory stick, and most come with software to record the streams to your computer's hard drive as normal video files.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

Nice Idea...

... I wonder if it would work with a Windows tablet? I don't have a laptop. Two desktops and a netbook (that started as XP and now sort of runs W10)

I appreciate the thought. Thanks!

John
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
M is for Memory

It probably would. Just make sure to check the computer hardware/software specs of what you find against those of your machine....It also may be wise to purchase an external hard drive or memory device (especially if your tablet has a small/filled internal one) since video files can get big.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Most DVB-T set top boxes I see still have a composite output alongside the HDMI output. Many newer boxes no longer have component or S-video outputs. Most will record TV to a USB stick, some support USB hard drives, many have built in hard disks. An external DVD recorder won't be necessary.

The USB TV tuner is another option, though while it may work with a windows tablet navigating the software on the touch screen will be painful if they don't offer a specific touch version.

I have an Acer windows tablet that happily runs everything I've tried on it so far, but is completely useless to me without it's keyboard dock. The onscreen keyboard completely blocks parts of programs that weren't designed with it in mind and "clicking" on anything that isn't a large button with my fat fingers just doesn't work.
Audiokarma