Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

That cabinet is going to look really nice. I'm impressed with your work.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dah-Yum, I'd wager it tweren't THAT nice lookin' when it was factry-new...(grin)
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks guys. Just when I'm in the home stretch, Home Depot drops the Deft line of lacquer This isn't the first time that just when I find a product I really like and easily available from a local store, they drop it! All they have now is Minwax lacquer which I've never tried and it's not cheap. My other local outfit, Menards, only carries Watco which is junk IMHO. Besides, no way I'm going to risk trying a different brand on top of the Deft

I have a couple more local places to try (Loews, Ace), then it'll have to be mail order

OK, rant over
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Thanks guys. Just when I'm in the home stretch, Home Depot drops the Deft line of lacquer This isn't the first time that just when I find a product I really like and easily available from a local store, they drop it! All they have now is Minwax lacquer which I've never tried and it's not cheap. My other local outfit, Menards, only carries Watco which is junk IMHO. Besides, no way I'm going to risk trying a different brand on top of the Deft

I have a couple more local places to try (Loews, Ace), then it'll have to be mail order

OK, rant over
I've always liked Deft. That's what we used in Junior High Shop class back in about '61.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
No time for this hobby

Great job on the set! I'm very impressed! On the Deft I have many contacts in the trades and out here in the suburbs there are tons of independents that carry it. Let me know if I can help, its the least I can do to get it for you. I know once I get up and going there will be more than a chance to return the favor!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

My Lowe's carries Deft. I stocked up a bit before Big Bro decides it hurts frogs or something.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs5061 View Post
Great job on the set! I'm very impressed! On the Deft I have many contacts in the trades and out here in the suburbs there are tons of independents that carry it. Let me know if I can help, its the least I can do to get it for you. I know once I get up and going there will be more than a chance to return the favor!
Thanks for the offer. I was out in the NW 'burbs today and found a couple places that carry Deft semi-gloss and satin, but not gloss. I'm using semi-gloss for this project so I'm good to go.
I wonder if Deft gloss is especially nasty ? Nitro-cellulose maybe

I'll probably need some gloss in the future though, so if you know someone who carries it, I'd be interested.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
No time for this hobby

Deft at Farm and Fleet

Just an FYI, They carry the Deft Lacquer at Blains Farm and Fleet. All types and sizes. There is a Farm and Fleet near me in Woodstock and I was there for something else this morning and they had a full selection. Quarts, Gallons and probably 5 gallon pails if you wanted, this includes the gloss. I think there are several in the Chicago area but I'm sure they are all way out in the sticks! My offer stands if you ever need someone out in the sticks to pick it up.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you have a local place that carries semi-gloss and satin, maybe they would get some gloss, if you asked.

Phil
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs5061 View Post
Just an FYI, They carry the Deft Lacquer at Blains Farm and Fleet. All types and sizes. There is a Farm and Fleet near me in Woodstock and I was there for something else this morning and they had a full selection. Quarts, Gallons and probably 5 gallon pails if you wanted, this includes the gloss. I think there are several in the Chicago area but I'm sure they are all way out in the sticks! My offer stands if you ever need someone out in the sticks to pick it up.
Oh sorry, I should have been clearer. I don't have my own spraying rig so I can only use the aerosol cans. I may get one someday though. They cost a lot less than I had assumed.
I think that F&F in Woodstock is the closest to me - or maybe the one in Montgomery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
If you have a local place that carries semi-gloss and satin, maybe they would get some gloss, if you asked.

Phil
Could be - they do have it listed on their website and I can order it direct from there. Really I'm just annoyed because there are about a dozen home improvement and hardware stores within 10 miles of my place and none of them carry the products I like to use.

And then there's spray paint - strictly forbidden inside the city limits. Like that's prevented any grafitti

Last edited by bandersen; 05-19-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2010, 12:23 AM
RCA 741PCS

I took a closer look at the list of contents on a can of Deft gloss lacquer and it does indeed contain cellulose nitrate. The semi gloss and satin do not.
From what I've read cellulose nitrate is what they used back in the 30s and provides a really high quality finish. It's also rather nasty stuff. I bet that's why some stores don't carry it.

Last edited by bandersen; 05-20-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just took the time to read through this nice long thread, with lots of nice work and pictures!

One thing I didn't happen to see, or might have missed, is any discussion of insufficient HV because of damp old HV coils. That's a very common problem on these T-54, 505, and 506 sets. I've got a 505 that I restored a few years ago. HV coil does fine if used often and kept warm and dry. Let it sit for several months, and the HV comes on weak, and gets weaker from there. When I restored the set, I baked the coil (which does a good job of bringing them temporarily back to life) and coated with fresh varnish.

However... after a few years now it's going to need something else.

Anyone got a good fix for these HV coils? I hate to replace with a solid-state HV unit as some have done. I'd even rather wind a new coil from scratch than do that.

Would love to hear what solutions are out there.

BAnderson, I take it your set does not show this problem?

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 AM
RCA 741PCS

Interesting. My first thought was to do exactly what you've already tried. Do you suppose it's the coil form material that's absorbing the moisture ? Does tweaking the tuning cap help ?

No, my set hasn't shown this problem. However, I haven't played it all that much and it's been pretty dry lately. I'll have it all back together in a few days and will fire it up occasionally to see how it's playing. Summer is coming and it can get really humid around these parts. If it's going to be an issue, I expect it will show up in a few months.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

This seems to be a recurring issue with these sets. John Folsom demonstrated a coil winding machine at the last ETF convention. I wonder how hard it would be to wind one of these on a more stable form?

Phil Nelson
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 AM
console lover

Hallicrafters sets seem to be in the middle of the HV supply reliability spectrum, with Admiral at the top and Philco at the the bottom. At one point somebody did make a replica of the Philco high voltage coil...so perfectly they replicated the high voltage fade the original suffers from.
Audiokarma