Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

New from Ohio

Only have a few video toys, but I love the old stuff.

48 SC(Dumont) 12"
51 Admiral 15"
54 GE 21"

the SC and GE have been in the family since new, Admiral was a neighbors

Last edited by Stromberg48; 04-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
RCA 741PCS

Welcome to VK Do you have a Stromberg Carlson TV12 ?

I picked one up recently. Very cool sets
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post

Yes I do, but mine is the console model called the Chinese classic, My grandfather purchased it new.
The (Dumont) chassis in those is nearly identical to your "doghouse" which is really called the "Rochester". I believe they both used the 12jp4 tube and the Mallory inductuner.

Note: You didn't happen to catch what the 2 Rochesters in the Buk auction sold for today did you?

One of my first questions to the forum is : Did Stromberg produce the Dumont chassis in their factory for Dumont Labs? Or did Dumont have their own assembly lines? I wonder though because even though it is clearly a Dumont chassis...Mine is loaded with Stromberg labeled Caps. Which leads me to believe those were assembled in a Stromberg factory.

Last edited by Stromberg48; 04-26-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

From one Videokarma "newbie" to another, Welcome!
That's so cool that two of your sets were family owned and the third was original bought by your neighbor.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bars&tone View Post
From one Videokarma "newbie" to another, Welcome!
That's so cool that two of your sets were family owned and the third was original bought by your neighbor.
And to top it off....all, as in every one of my solid state TV's, I got free from craigslist

Bang and Olafson 27"
Sony trinitron 27"
Quasar 27"

all acquired right before the switch to digital.

The only ones I care about are the vintage ones though
------------------------------------
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post

Did you see the Auction sets...One has the factory instructions still attached

Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
<----Zenith C845

Welcome to VK. Hope to see more posts from you in the future, as there aren't that many members here from northern Ohio. Today I live about 35 miles east of downtown Cleveland, but grew up in an eastern suburb of the city. I collected old TVs when I lived in the suburbs, and at one point had almost every major American make of TV from Admiral to Zenith; the only make of set I did not have was Magnavox. Had to give up most of my collection (except three sets) when I moved in 1972, and the rest (I started another collection when I returned to my home town in 1975) when I moved again 24 years later, in 1999. I hated to give up one set in particular, a 23" Zenith console from 1963 which I had retubed almost from scratch (the set only had two tubes in it when I found it in 1969, in the trash at the end of the street I grew up on). That Zenith had about the best b&w picture and sound I ever saw/heard, which was one more reason I hated like heck to give it up.

Again, welcome to VK. I've been a member here since 2002 and have enjoyed every minute of it. Hope you will too.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Welcome to VK. Hope to see more posts from you in the future, as there aren't that many members here from northern Ohio. Today I live about 35 miles east of downtown Cleveland, but grew up in an eastern suburb of the city. I collected old TVs when I lived in the suburbs, and at one point had almost every major American make of TV from Admiral to Zenith; the only make of set I did not have was Magnavox. Had to give up most of my collection (except three sets) when I moved in 1972, and the rest (I started another collection when I returned to my home town in 1975) when I moved again 24 years later, in 1999. I hated to give up one set in particular, a 23" Zenith console from 1963 which I had retubed almost from scratch (the set only had two tubes in it when I found it in 1969, in the trash at the end of the street I grew up on). That Zenith had about the best b&w picture and sound I ever saw/heard, which was one more reason I hated like heck to give it up.

Again, welcome to VK. I've been a member here since 2002 and have enjoyed every minute of it. Hope you will too.

Good to hear from a NE OHIO enthusiast, I hope you don't mind If I have a lot of questions for you in the future.

Zenith...with great pains I finally got rid of the Zenith 7 years ago. I kind of regret the action ever since. that and a Philco B&W portable are the ONLY pieces of my grandfather's vintage electronics I have ever disposed of. The Philco was long blown, ugly, and I kept bumping into it. The Zenith however was the TV purchased when the house was new, and It was his first color TV. Model 25X6343, purchased in October of 1966. It had the space command. The tube finally went black, after looking over the service history and how many PT's it had gone thru, grouped with the lack of storage options, I had to make a decision. It was just too big a console to sit there and take up space knowing that I'd never have the funds or real desire at the time to keep it serviceable. Knowing know what I didn't know then, I probably would have kept it and given it a full recap. C'est la vie.

I kept the Stromberg because it was way older, prettier, had he radio, and makes an excellent sturdy and tall SS TV stand.

However, If you are a Zenith nut, I do have the Space command remote, as well as a basket case Cobra-matic if any of that interests you?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromberg48 View Post
Did you see the Auction sets...One has the factory instructions still attached
I sure did! They went for only $175 plus a Meck TV.