Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Hannover, Germany (..where PAL was born! - so Telefunken said)
Ebay TV-stuff from Japan: How can you find it?

By what it is called, it should make sure I don't miss anything when I set ebay's search criteria "location" to "worldwide" - but seeking e.g "sony bvp" I only find U.S., GB, some French and Dutch Stuff and asthonishing (small country) many offers from Germany - but never anything from South America, Japan Russia or any place else. "Worldwide" would be something else..
I also tried to start the search from an different ebay "location" (..ebay.com instead of ebay.com.de, de=Deutschland=Germany), but the results were the same.
O.k., might be, there is no tv-stuff ceollector community in Venezuela or India, but you do find pictures of items in private collections from Korea, Japan or New Zealand.

So does anybody know anything about restrictions concerning accessing ebay offers in selected countries? Or are there other popular platforms (like alibaba in China), I just haven't heard of?

Thanks for your help on this!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauberich View Post
By what it is called, it should make sure I don't miss anything when I set ebay's search criteria "location" to "worldwide" - but seeking e.g "sony bvp" I only find U.S., GB, some French and Dutch Stuff and asthonishing (small country) many offers from Germany - but never anything from South America, Japan Russia or any place else. "Worldwide" would be something else..
I also tried to start the search from an different ebay "location" (..ebay.com instead of ebay.com.de, de=Deutschland=Germany), but the results were the same.
O.k., might be, there is no tv-stuff ceollector community in Venezuela or India, but you do find pictures of items in private collections from Korea, Japan or New Zealand.

So does anybody know anything about restrictions concerning accessing ebay offers in selected countries? Or are there other popular platforms (like alibaba in China), I just haven't heard of?

I can't help you much with South America, Russia, etc. but I do have personal experience buying antiques from Japan.

eBay isn't really popular in Japan, but Yahoo Auctions is huge over there. It's the Japanese equivalent of eBay and you can find all kinds of vintage radios, TVs, electronics or whatever else you're looking for.

While I'm not sure how shipping things to Germany would work, there are many Japanese companies that will bid on Yahoo Japan auctions for you and handle the shipping to the USA. They also translate the auctions from Japanese to English.

A great site for browsing the Japanese Yahoo Auctions is http://yahoo.aleado.com.

Hope this is helpful!

Tim
Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have also found a lot of listings are Yahoo Auctions.
For large stuff like televisions however I've found it's far too expensive to ship. The slightly more practical way is to find a friend who is going to import a car from Japan, arrange delivery to the car importer and most will cram the boxes in the car for a fee but then the weight is accumulated onto the freight to ship the car which has a lower per-pound shipping rate.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:46 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
there are many Japanese companies that will bid on Yahoo Japan auctions for you and handle the shipping to the USA. They also translate the auctions from Japanese to English.

A great site for browsing the Japanese Yahoo Auctions is http://yahoo.aleado.com.

Hope this is helpful!

Tim
What companies handle shipping? I've been interested in buying and importing a Sony Chromatron TV someday.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-22-2017, 04:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

A friend of mine imported several pairs of floor standing speakers and various other hifi gear from Japan to Australia using a service called import monster. They were bringing in regular containers of cars and car parts so while it was slow it was a lot cheaper than the alternatives. That said, some items were damaged - I guess they are used to dealing with stuff that isn't fragile. Someone would have to pack that Chromatron incredibly well for it to survive such a trip.
Audiokarma
Old 08-22-2017, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
What companies handle shipping? I've been interested in buying and importing a Sony Chromatron TV someday.
I found a Chromatron on Yahoo Japan a couple years back. A member here wanted to buy it but wasn't able to bid in time. I remember it sold for a stupid cheap amount, like $10 or something(!).

Tenso, Buyee.jp, and Aleado are the first three buying services that come to mind. What they do is bid on or buy the item, box it up, and then give you a quote on shipping via multiple carriers. After that, you pay them and your purchase is on its way. A Google search should return a bunch of others.

I've used both Aleado and Buyee before. It pays to research them before you use their services, the fees vary greatly between companies.

Tim
Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
For large stuff like televisions however I've found it's far too expensive to ship. The slightly more practical way is to find a friend who is going to import a car from Japan, arrange delivery to the car importer and most will cram the boxes in the car for a fee but then the weight is accumulated onto the freight to ship the car which has a lower per-pound shipping rate.
Doesn't Canada have some pretty lax importation laws when it comes to vehicles? Like they don't have to meet Canada's safety standards to be driven, or something?

I know it's far more complex to do here. If I recall, the only practical way to bring a car over is if it's a classic. Which means it has to be at least 30 years old to count.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:12 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I doubt shipping is insanely expensive given the right carrier. I see right-hand drive Japanese cars and those little cabover trucks with short, shallow beds semi-regularly. Considering that some of them end up in this region, most people in the rest of the country should be able to import large items without putting a huge dent in their wallets.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

New zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauberich View Post

Who is the Collector in NEW ZEALAND Please ?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Doesn't Canada have some pretty lax importation laws when it comes to vehicles? Like they don't have to meet Canada's safety standards to be driven, or something?

I know it's far more complex to do here. If I recall, the only practical way to bring a car over is if it's a classic. Which means it has to be at least 30 years old to count.
Canada has a 15 year rule on cars. Car must still meet provincial safety inspection standards (DOT approved lighting, tires, tempered glass).
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Looking For Time

I can tell you from first hand experience that exporting televisions out of Russia and Japan are EXTREMELY difficult. It took me over a year to get a television out of Russia and would not have been able to do it without the incredibly selfless help of two different collectors in Moscow. Japan is even harder. I can tell you there is no real ebay japan, but the auction site to follow is auctions.yahoo.co.jp . This is by far the most used site in Japan. As mentioned here already there are services that will buy from yahoo on your behalf and ship to you, but televisions can be tricky so be careful and make sure you can actually get the set to you before you go forward. If in the end you do end up finding a way to get something out of Japan please let me know how you did it as I would love to have a National 7T-5310 for my collection.

Good luck!