Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Administrator

My neighbor does scrap, and he won't even waste his time with power cords. The great thing about a scrapping neighbor is that I can go through his pile anytime I want for parts or whatever. I haven't bought a lawnmower in years, when they die I just trade them in

Occasionally, I'll feel sorry for something that he's picked and give it a home. That's why I have a 1948 Westinghouse fridge in my basement....the finish isn't great but it works perfectly and silently. I just couldn't let something like that go to waste.

Had a tragic scrapping this week on my block, the one neighbor's dad passed away and I watched a perfect 1991 Caprice with low miles get hauled off by the junkyard. I almost cried. But the guy is the neighborhood looney (and I mean LOONEY) and nobody talks to him, else I might have tried to save it at the last minute.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
My neighbor does scrap, and he won't even waste his time with power cords. The great thing about a scrapping neighbor is that I can go through his pile anytime I want for parts or whatever. I haven't bought a lawnmower in years, when they die I just trade them in

Occasionally, I'll feel sorry for something that he's picked and give it a home. That's why I have a 1948 Westinghouse fridge in my basement....the finish isn't great but it works perfectly and silently. I just couldn't let something like that go to waste.

Had a tragic scrapping this week on my block, the one neighbor's dad passed away and I watched a perfect 1991 Caprice with low miles get hauled off by the junkyard. I almost cried. But the guy is the neighborhood looney (and I mean LOONEY) and nobody talks to him, else I might have tried to save it at the last minute.
That reminds me of a cougar I spotted one day. (80s cougars are my thing, heh). Anyway, it was a perfect 83, no rust, 5.0. It was just sitting in a driveway with 4 flat tires. I stopped and talked to the guy, he said it belonged to a guy who died and he couldn't get the title. He put a jump pack on it and it started right up. He said he'd try to get the title and he would sell it to me. Well, I stopped there about once a week for about 3 weeks. I wonder if I wore out my welcome. I came back on week 4 and it was gone and he wouldn't answer the door. Coincidentally I had to go to the junk yard that week, and there it was, crushed in the middle of a stack. Oh that made me wanna puke. What a waste. Even with no title that would have been an excellent parts car, even for the junk yard to part out! But they do that all the time, smash them immediately without even putting them in the yard. That kind of keeps with the theme of this thread, useless scrapping of otherwise good things.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
That reminds me of a cougar I spotted one day. (80s cougars are my thing, heh). Anyway, it was a perfect 83, no rust, 5.0. It was just sitting in a driveway with 4 flat tires. I stopped and talked to the guy, he said it belonged to a guy who died and he couldn't get the title. He put a jump pack on it and it started right up. He said he'd try to get the title and he would sell it to me. Well, I stopped there about once a week for about 3 weeks. I wonder if I wore out my welcome. I came back on week 4 and it was gone and he wouldn't answer the door. Coincidentally I had to go to the junk yard that week, and there it was, crushed in the middle of a stack. Oh that made me wanna puke. What a waste. Even with no title that would have been an excellent parts car, even for the junk yard to part out! But they do that all the time, smash them immediately without even putting them in the yard. That kind of keeps with the theme of this thread, useless scrapping of otherwise good things.
I'd say some of us are past due for opening specialty junk yards with a large portion dedicated to older cars. Newer stuff for the fools who have to have the latest of everything, just to keep the business running, the rest for our preferred customers and ourselves.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

I had a good thing going with a local scrapper at one point; I'd bring him old computers and cheap or otherwise unrepairable BPC and he'd let me take anything vintage or antique in return. I got some good stuff through him, but a couple years ago his wife had a kid and he had to stop scrapping to help at home. But hey, now I have less competition
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

My grandfather did this to the devices he gave to me. Why? He didn't even know. Oh well, that MiniDisc player is up and running once again.
Audiokarma
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Had an 84 cougar with the V6... All i have left now is the grille..

SR