Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Tinker

Rca ctc-16h

I picked up the RCA 629W in Michigan yesterday. I plugged in the set and got a blue/ green raster. Switched on the service switch and got the RGB lines. The blue and green seem very strong. The red seemed a little weaker . The convergence is off, mainly the blue with respect to Red/Green.
Overall I'm happy the CRT shows signs of life, its a 21FBP22. It looks to be original. The man I bought the set from said he bought it for his mother new in 1966. She stopped using it in the 1980's and it's been sitting since.
The first thing I tried to do is set the gray scale better, but it seems the set doesn't have enough red drive. I tried to test the emissions with an old SD-92B color kinescope emissions tester. I didn't get any readings for any of the guns.
Maybe the tester is broken or I am not using it correctly. I got the tester from the old RCA service tech years ago. Has any one ever used one. The transformer in the tester does light the filaments, only the meter shows no movement.
Also noticed the degauss coil is unplugged and there is quite a bit of crt impurity in one corner of the screen.
The set will need work with the color, rf, and high voltage circuits for sure.
I'm really not going to get into fixng this set for about a year yet. I have too many other projects on the burner still. I just wanted to verify the condition of the crt. I posted a few pictures of the sets' image and crt tester.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.jpg (95.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.jpg (47.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-007F.jpg (58.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010F.jpg (60.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg SD-92B emission checker.jpg (62.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great find oh boy!

That will get an amazing picture after repair.
It is nice to show pic of cabinet too when convieniant.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Tinker

As Requested, more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.jpg (73.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.jpg (77.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.jpg (64.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh wow.. That's a beautiful set.. Shows some good signs of life.. I'm glad you were able to get it from Craigslist..
Old 02-05-2017, 09:42 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Oh yeah. That's definitely a keeper. Nice score.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:42 PM
sampson159

i picked up a rca ctc16 combo once.did a wake up on the crt.tested strong and when i fired it up i was greeted with a bright,shard color picture.hello,1965!after approx, 30 minutes,the red gun died a slow and painful death.i scrambled to test everything in the red circuit hoping it wasnt the crt.unfortunatly,it was the crt.i nearly cried.restored it a few times but it would fade after 30 to 45 minutes.no hope to save.was an original colorama with the dark green face.i replaced wit a channelmaster rebuild and it looked great.moved it to the front of my shop for display.one month later.we had a breakin and though little was taken,4 sets were destroyed.3 roundies and a zenith hybrid had the crts smashed.insurance didnt pay much as no crts were available to buy and replace.i was allowed 89.00 per crt.adjuster found an old vdc price list and thats what the roundies were going for back then.i feel your pain.that a great looking set and i hope your crt can be saved or you find another.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
Oh wow.. That's a beautiful set.. Shows some good signs of life.. I'm glad you were able to get it from Craigslist..
Eric H found this set on Ebay and posted it here in CURBSIDE.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Motorola Minion

Way to spot and post Eric. You'll have fun with that when you get to it and the best thing is, no CRT cateract to fix!

I understand having too many projects. I just now got around to a CTC12 another, remote VK member spotted on CL nearby, I picked it up almost 2 years ago.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 AM
M is for Memory

Ed, I could test that CRT for you if you want. I have a working B&K 466 that I'm familiar testing roundy color CRTs with.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Way to spot and post Eric. You'll have fun with that when you get to it and the best thing is, no CRT cateract to fix!

I understand having too many projects. I just now got around to a CTC12 another, remote VK member spotted on CL nearby, I picked it up almost 2 years ago.
Your right Dave,
The lack of a cataract was what helped motivate me to buy the set. Currently, for a least the past two + months I've been learning how to re-plate an extremely corroded/ pitted Admiral 14R12 chassis. It's the second one I'm bringing back to life. I guy gave it to me about 25 years ago.
Ed
Audiokarma
Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Ed, I could test that CRT for you if you want. I have a working B&K 466 that I'm familiar testing roundy color CRTs with.
Tom,
I think I'll take you up on that offer, to test the CRT, when you have the time to come and visit. PM me when your ready.
Ed
Old 02-07-2017, 02:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Eric H found this set on Ebay and posted it here in CURBSIDE.
Yes, I noticed that, If you noticed I even posted a reply on that thread.. I forgot that its was eBay and not CL.. I was complementing on the set, and glad that you got it.. That is all..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Tinker

Hi TV Collector, Thanks for the compliments. I just wanted to make sure Eric H got credit for spotting the set on Ebay.
Ed
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
As Requested, more pictures.
That was the entry-level wood cabinet model that year. The metal table model and that one.
RCA and others, thought they were doing you a favor by using a bonded CRT in their higher priced models, NOT!!!!!
The metal table model didn't have a deguasser and really didn't need it. Both sets were good value for the money.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM
BigDavesTV

Great score! That looks to me, to be a fairly low-hours set, and by the looks of it, that 21FBP will come back to life, with a wake up! Good idea to have Tom "Electronic M" help you out with the CRT Testing and waking up.