Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Workin' Late Again

Flickr to now charge for over 1K photo uploads

Looks like they're now going the way of Photo buckwheat, offering a professional upgrade for anything over 1000 uploads. At least they're giving specific directions on how to download all your data before they begin eliminating or blocking photo links. I guess it's only fair they charge for server space, however it's the long term uncertainty of conditions that worries me about these photo hosting sites. What are your thoughts?

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead
Old 11-03-2018, 12:50 PM
M is for Memory

Well shit...If I'm not at or over the limit the my days are numbered, and I'll have to look elsewhere... these damn photo hosting sites are screwing over hobby forum users who don't make money off their photos to justify paying to host them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-03-2018, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm, I'm at 435 photos currently. My gallery could grow though. I'm probably going to need to just host this stuff myself.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I recall that there were significant concerns about whether Flickr would remain free what with the ownership change, and of course they didn't tell the whole truth.

Why not create more co-ops instead of turning almost everything into a fricken' capitalist venture? (rhetorical question, it's all about greed.) Way to put up even more walls between people.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unfortunately, it's not cheap to host.

The costs stack when you are also hosting a sizeable portion of the internet. Moreso when you are uploading unscaled 4mb images form your iphone.
It then comes down to optimizing how account types are tiered........or how hard you cycle ad syndication.
Audiokarma
Old 11-04-2018, 04:23 PM
I love old stuff

I have no more then 200 photos? Am I going to be affected?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

What's to stop you guys from having more than one Flickr account?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:25 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
What's to stop you guys from having more than one Flickr account?
How many email accounts I have relative to photo uploads I will do over time, and perhaps hassle/principle.

Of course, once I find a disposable ~200 photos to delete (I'm at ~1200 pics EDIT more like 1400... currently) there is also nothing to stop me from uploading one last pic protesting this BS...This is actually worse than what Photobucket did to an extent...Photobucket never forced me to delete anything, but only temporarily broke the hosting to third-party sites feature.

I make no money helping people on these forums by posting pictures and advice so I'm not shelling out money to some hosting site to make it easier for me to give people free advice.

I may try to go back to Photobucket. They actually restarted image hosting all my old stuff for free...I went back to one of my old threads only to find the pics working with a watermark on them saying "Proudly hosted by Photobucket" (seems like a bold reversal of their past folly)...If they fixed what they broke/chased me off with and there is still room to make free uploads I may just try going back there.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-04-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I may try to go back to Photobucket. They actually restarted image hosting all my old stuff for free...I went back to one of my old threads only to find the pics working with a watermark on them saying "Proudly hosted by Photobucket" (seems like a bold reversal of their past folly)...If they fixed what they broke/chased me off with and there is still room to make free uploads I may just try going back there.
Watermarking is new. I started getting nags to acknowledge they were coming two weeks ago. I am getting conflicting reports that the watermarking is not being baked into existing images but is an overlain template and might be easy to hide with ublock.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I have no more then 200 photos? Am I going to be affected?
You should be fine according to their recent announcement. At least until they decide they have too many under 1000 photo users.

I'm just under 1000, so it will be interesting to see how long they leave those alone if I stop adding new content. They could decide we need to keep turning over our content. Something tells me they don't like forum users posting permanent technical related content.
Audiokarma
Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Reminds me of the early days of satellite television. It was all free until—it wasn't!