Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Jon A.;3185938]That could be one reason the second ad was created, for those who were more into quality than excess.

Why the second ad?
Black and white ads are not conducive to the sale of color televisions!

Phil
Old 06-26-2017, 08:34 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have heard the following story on Zenith TVs ever since I've been into old TVs. Anybody know if its true, or just a good story ?!? Supposedly, Cdr McDonald was not gonna get into TV, as he thought it was a passing fad. But, when NOBODY was gaining on sales of TVs, he took another look at things, & decided to jump in. But, he told his engineers he wanted a ZENITH tV. one that was built to Zenith levels of quality, & also used as few of the RCA patents as possible. THIS could be why an early Zenith TV is often VERY hard to kill, & why if given half a chance, they still give excellent service. Truth or BS ?!?
Mostly true. Zenith did not have flyback sweep design down in the B&W porthole era, and some of those chassis were as fly hungry as RCA color sets were. By the time rectangular hit the scene Zenith had got it's act together, and was making that stage as good or better than the rest of the industry....Once they had that sorted they were about as good as they could be (once paper caps got phased out in the early 60's they hit a stable peak).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
Why the second ad?
Black and white ads are not conducive to the sale of color televisions!

Phil
I don't think we're on the same page. I was referring to the ad you posted.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
One of my regular customers had one. The remote control chassis was still tube. The 5Y3 went bad and I didn't have one with me, so I used a 5U4, until I could get back. It was chancing it, as the power transformer isn't that large.
The set was probably ten years old at the time and the picture was still excellent, with the original RCA CRT.
I still don't know what the difference was between the 21FKP22 and the 21FJ. The FK was the CRT that was in Zeniths of the era!
I am fairly certain 21FKP22 was a Sylvania-produced tube that was the 21FJP22 alternative. The FK used clear safety glass unlike the tinted glass used by RCA. Both my Zenith roundies have replacement tubes and I was not aware of when Rauland started making OEM tubes for them, so this makes sense.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith made a limited number of chrome plated 29JC20 chassis for selected dealers to display. I serviced for a dealer who received one, and I got it eventually. I replaced the chassis in my 29JC20 with it.
Audiokarma