Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Tim ,

I don't know how "handy" you are , handy as in small repairs for folks who can't fix things themselves , but if you are at all handy there is a new internet handyman service called "Tackle" (not sure how they spell it) that advertises for folks needing small odd jobs done and connects folks looking for work done with folks looking to do the work . Kinda like an "Uber" or "lyft" idea but instead of giving folks rides it's doing odd jobs for them .

I realize it may not be any kinds of an ideal career choice , but it could net you a couple of bux while you search for the right job ....
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Tyco (now TE Connectivity, te.com) is a huge employer in PA - check out their listings too. When they were just Tyco, I lost two senior guys to them - the DoD was doing a drawdown in 1992-3 after the Cold War "ended" and these guys got severance packages and found immediate employment with Tyco. Both went to Pennsylvania, dunno/don't remember where. You might be able to leverage an intern job, and then apply internally for a better job there.

Edit: There are also tons of food companies there in Central PA, as you know. There's bound to be a customer service presence as well. Utz, Hanover Foods, Hershey, Stauffers, Turkey Hill, on and on....
I will follow up on these leads! Thank you. Seems like no one wants to pay for experience. Companies want a new Cadillac for the price of an old used Chevy.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi Tim ,

I don't know how "handy" you are , handy as in small repairs for folks who can't fix things themselves , but if you are at all handy there is a new internet handyman service called "Tackle" (not sure how they spell it) that advertises for folks needing small odd jobs done and connects folks looking for work done with folks looking to do the work . Kinda like an "Uber" or "lyft" idea but instead of giving folks rides it's doing odd jobs for them .

I realize it may not be any kinds of an ideal career choice , but it could net you a couple of bux while you search for the right job ....
An excellent idea.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hi Tim ,

I've heard of them, they spell it "Takl". I think their competitor is "Task Rabbit". You could do one or both, I've seen plenty of cars with both the Uber and Lyft stickers on them.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTim View Post
I will follow up on these leads! Thank you. Seems like no one wants to pay for experience. Companies want a new Cadillac for the price of an old used Chevy.
Remember, most companies hire from within for good paying stuff - get in via an entry level position, and look at the internal job offerings - and be willing to relocate, even if means being a "Geographic Bachelor" for a while. PA's got some good highways if it means commuting. Harrisburg to York is just a 30 minute commute, 'cept for snow.

Mailroom to Boardroom, no, but intern to middle manager or Junior VP, yes. It's all about being in a position to ask, learn and move up. And of course, attitude determines altitude - in aeronautics and business. Stay positive - this too shall pass....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma