Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
How about a chemist that's on a low-sodium diet?
He puts it in his smokes.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Ok. That makes sense, so it seems I only have 1 electrolytic cap to replace and the one resistor (R32) to replace and that's it. And the radio should be good again.
Replacment of these items may well fix the B+ supply, but it appears that you also have another unrelated problem in the heater string that is causing the the tubes not to light up.
Unless you fix both problems, the radio will remain dead.

jr
Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I got it going, mostly it was indeed R32 that was causing the problem when I took R32 out, it had a nice big crack running down the backside of it, telling me that it had taken the brunt force of the improperly installed diode.

But now I have a new problem, and it may very well be just a bad tube causing it or an improperly seated tube, but the AM Band works perfectly on the radio, but the FM Band is very weak and barely picks up anything including a local Christian Station that puts out nearly 50,000 watts of power making it the strongest station in the area.

What do you guys think? A bad tube or something else?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:45 AM
M is for Memory

V1 is the only shared tube so it would be the most likely culprit for a weak tube, but may as well test all the tubes as if they are all barely good it could be a cumulative effect.

Make sure the internal antenna is working by substituting a good external FM ant.

If the tubes are fine check all resistors for tolerance, replace any out of tolerance. Also, check voltages at the tube sockets for any telltale discrepancies and work to correct any found.

If after all that FM is still weak try adjusting the alignment.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
V1 is the only shared tube so it would be the most likely culprit for a weak tube, but may as well test all the tubes as if they are all barely good it could be a cumulative effect.

Make sure the internal antenna is working by substituting a good external FM ant.

If the tubes are fine check all resistors for tolerance, replace any out of tolerance. Also, check voltages at the tube sockets for any telltale discrepancies and work to correct any found.

If after all that FM is still weak try adjusting the alignment.
I figured out that the 19T8 tube was the problem in there as I had tried subbing out the all of the tubes including V1, and nothing really changed except that then the AM band would go out and the FM band would start working and the effect would would swap back and forth depending on the tubes changed out.

But when I swapped out the 19T8 tube it worked consistently on both bands, making me realize that the 19T8 was the culprit all along.
So now its working fine now. thanks for the help, everyone!
Audiokarma
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM
David Thomas

I have a similar Zenith where the FM band slowly lost sensitivity and started drifting. I found one section of the 19T8 to be just a little weak, and once replaced the FM was rock solid again.

After that, I puled the 19T8 from my H845 and checked it, and found one section far weaker than the other 2. I always thought the H845 performed well, but a replacement tube gave me a noticeable sensitivity improvement. Evidently, those Zenith's require a good, strong 19T8 to perform properly.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
I have a similar Zenith where the FM band slowly lost sensitivity and started drifting. I found one section of the 19T8 to be just a little weak, and once replaced the FM was rock solid again.

After that, I puled the 19T8 from my H845 and checked it, and found one section far weaker than the other 2. I always thought the H845 performed well, but a replacement tube gave me a noticeable sensitivity improvement. Evidently, those Zenith's require a good, strong 19T8 to perform properly.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking, the 19T8 that was in there was an older replacement so I swapped it out for one I had nabbed out of an old Zenith I had scrapped and bang it had fixed it right up again!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK so I've noticed something weird about the alarm clock portion of this radio, the radio portion of the alarm clock comes on 20 minues or so before the set time for the alarm to go off, and then the the buzzer starts going off 5 minutes before the set time for the alarm to go off.

But then when the time for the alarm to go off comes around the buzzer just shuts itself off and the radio remains on until you turn it off, the radio part doesn't even shut itself off after an hour like its supposed unless you turn the power knob to the off position, then when you turn the power knob onto the alarm/radio position then the radio is actually off then.

The weird thing is that the sleep feature shuts itself off like its supposed to after an hour or however long you have the sleep timer set for, without a problem, its just the alarm part that seems to have some issues with working properly.

Is what its doing in alarm mode normal operations for this alarm clock radio or is there something mechanically wrong with the clock mechanism that needs repaired?

Any helps is appreciated in this matter.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:21 PM
M is for Memory

I used mine as an alarm for a while. I never set it so the buzzer operates...I'm a light sleeper and I hate waking up to a shrill tone. If it is set for just the radio to wake you up it should switch off after an hour IIRC.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I used mine as an alarm for a while. I never set it so the buzzer operates...I'm a light sleeper and I hate waking up to a shrill tone. If it is set for just the radio to wake you up it should switch off after an hour IIRC.
That's interesting, because mine doesn't shut off on its own after an hour, you have to switch it off by hand and then wait an hour and then it shuts it off. Which is weird, as it should shut off on its own after an hour, but it doesn't, it just turns on and stays on unless you turn it off manually by switching the power switch to off and wait till an hour has gone by then it's actually powered off.
Audiokarma
Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
That's interesting, because mine doesn't shut off on its own after an hour, you have to switch it off by hand and then wait an hour and then it shuts it off. Which is weird, as it should shut off on its own after an hour, but it doesn't, it just turns on and stays on unless you turn it off manually by switching the power switch to off and wait till an hour has gone by then it's actually powered off.
I don't remember any of those with the standard Telechron movement shut off after one hour when the function switch is set in the "auto" or alarm mode.
The only delayed off is the sleep function. You're dealing with a device that was built 60+ years ago. It's only a 12 hour clock as well!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't remember any of those with the standard Telechron movement shut off after one hour when the function switch is set in the "auto" or alarm mode.
The only delayed off is the sleep function. You're dealing with a device that was built 60+ years ago. It's only a 12 hour clock as well!
I was aware that it's a 12 hour movement, most electromechanical movements (Except some of the flip-dial movements like the Sony's and Sankyos were 12 hour movements). But I thought that the radio was supposed to shut itself off after an hour when set to alarm/radio mode.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

On a Zenith clock radio I have I had to adjust the alarm hand on the shaft to get the alarm to go off at the correct time.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxm View Post
On a Zenith clock radio I have I had to adjust the alarm hand on the shaft to get the alarm to go off at the correct time.
Yes, When I took the radio apart to work on it, I had to remove the clock mechanism to clean and lube it and when I did that the hands popped off the dial on me and I couldn't remember what position the hands were in before they came off, so I had to put them on the best I could remember that they were on there as, but I have a feeling that the alam pointer/hour hand and alarm wheel wasn't put on correctly, but I have no idea how you can tell where to position the alarm hand in order to make sure the alarm wheel and pointer are lined up properly.
Any tips on how to reinstall the hands on the alarm clock mechanism on this thing so that its actually installed correctly?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 PM
M is for Memory

One thing I used to do is IIRC set the alarm by setting the time backwards...It would the clock hands/gearing would hook the alarm hand/gearing and it would allow the alarm to be set to exactly the time the hands were set to....Then the clock hand would have to be reset to the correct time by moving them in the opposite direction that I used to hook/set the alarm...That seemed to be the easiest way to get a really accurate alarm time set.

Audiokarma