Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sylvania GT Matic II Console (1976): What Do I Have and Any Interest?

Greetings!

I have a "vintage" color TV (Sylvania GT Matic II color television console, manufactured in Batavia, NY, in August 1976, approximately 23 in. screen, wood cabinet; still powers up) that I would like to send to someone who would appreciate it (I don't want it "parted out"). What is the value of the unit, if anything, and how would one appraise this model as far as any significance in the manufacture of older color TVs? FYI - I reside near Rochester NY.

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM
TheUniversalDave1

It's worth what somebody will pay for it. Slightly less if the CRT is dead.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 AM
M is for Memory

Assuming it uses a delta-gun CRT if the CRT is a 23V screen size collectors of older rectangular color sets will give ~$100 if the CRT is relatively strong. The complete set you may be lucky to give away (unless the buyer intends to part it out).

That is how it works. Tube and hybrid sets have value, but once you get into Solid State a chassis generation or two, you have to live near that proverbial one guy that actually wants one to have a shot at selling it and it staying whole.

Wait another 5-20 years and it may actually become a set with a collector following.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Assuming it uses a delta-gun CRT if the CRT is a 23V screen size collectors of older rectangular color sets will give ~$100 if the CRT is relatively strong. The complete set you may be lucky to give away (unless the buyer intends to part it out).

That is how it works. Tube and hybrid sets have value, but once you get into Solid State a chassis generation or two, you have to live near that proverbial one guy that actually wants one to have a shot at selling it and it staying whole.

Wait another 5-20 years and it may actually become a set with a collector following.
It's sad, but true.
If it's the Sylvania set I'm thinking of, they were good performing sets.
IIRC, it's the first set that used the count-down chip, that eliminated the hold controls.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM
sampson159

are you sure its a 23v crt?i have a set like that and i would take it if it wasnt so far away.those are very good performers but the weak link was the 25vdmp22 crt.short life span.i have a zenith chromacolor crt in mine.the value for this set is small,under 50.00 if cabinet is nice.thats what i paid for mine with a sharp cabinet and crt was good.it faded a few weeks after though.post pics of it
Audiokarma
Old 08-16-2017, 06:15 AM
Mark

Moved to a better fitting location Carry on...
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you for your input. I did realize that the unit had "negligible" value. Maybe I will eventually have to part it out if there is no interest in the complete console. It was a good TV, picture was very good for its time - was connected to an outdoor rotor antenna.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Motorola Minion

Yes, I remember these. I forget the chassis number but E32 maybe? Had three modules about the same size each. A fantastic picture if you set them up right. Worthy competition for Zenith RCA and Magnavox in those years. Some were branded Philco, who was also owned by GTE since late 1974
Old 08-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Funny how a few glass bulbs change the perceived value of a set. I can hear future generations looking at TV displays and asking "So all we had were round screen RCAs with all those tubes until we got flat screens made in China?"

Those early SS Sylvanias are less common than those tube sets, but generally will go to the trash masher if they can't feed greed.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-19-2017 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dave G the E32 was a inline gun set. The set in ? uses a E40,E41 chassis, 3 big boards and a self regulating power transformer and the 1st generation video chip, good picture when the jug was up to snuf. All the best, Tom.J
Audiokarma
Old 08-16-2017, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC the E32 was a single board set. The one that had bad FBT's,
filter cans & a Zener in the audio that shorted. Otherwise a decent set.
Came in 19" & 25". Maybe 13" to ???

Early GT Matics were all delta jugs 19" & 25". Killer pix with the dark/light
CRT but the the jugs died early. They were 3 module sets.
Next generation had pass regulator. They would blow the FBT, HOT
& pass. If you used OEM parts it was a $200 job inc PUD. Too much $$ !
IIRC all deltas to.

The other chassis from Sylvania in that era was the E08 used in 13" & 19".
Single board & also could give a pix as good as any. The list of common
problems is LONG.

Sylvanias greatest contribution was the count down H/V design that became
the standard for almost all but the cheapest sets.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I have an E08 chassis 19" set from 1974. It gives an excellent pix - when it works. Had to have the tripler replaced last year, and recently, a wire going to the focus control randomly fell off, so now I have to fix that. The IC for color demodulation is also bad in that thing.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

There were also the E20,E21,E23 and E24 single board sets with the Sylvania/GE inline CRTs' sized 13" 15" 17" 19" and 21". When working good gave a great pix. Have a few in my collection. Probs. with them were among others shorted pass transistor which most times took out H.O.T. tripler, yoke and sometimes the jug, later models had trouble with auto color chip and chroma chip. Fix for prob. came out fairly quickly. All the best,Tom.J
Old 08-17-2017, 12:28 PM
sampson159

all those sylvanias of that era were fine performers and delivered excellent pictures.the 25dmp22 crt would always win the best picture from consumer reports magazine.they died slow deaths and usually would last 3 to 4 years.the lighter faced 25vamp22 would last forever.in there prime,these sets would hold their own against the best zeniths.the zeniths would last 30 years plus,though.the higher end sets with real wood cabinets would last nearly as long but were way too few and far in between.sister has a e 32 chassis bought new in 1984 and still working as a daily driver.excellent picture and never had a repair!i have a 1979 e 48 that has a like new picture and never repaired.i use it sparingly but love the way that crt looks.dont want to kill it as a daily watcher
Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Mine has a dark-face CRT but it's a 25VFAP22 and is original to the set. It's a high-hour set, CRT passed emissions but didn't do well on the life test at first. It came right back up with auto-restore.
Audiokarma