Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:20 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I couldn't help it

I stopped in the thrift shop after a sad day of estate sailing, and sitting on the bottom shelf all by itself was this rather new looking Sony Trinitron. It was marked $7.98, so I figured why not. Threw it in a buggy and went to check out, and to my surprise, everything in the store was half off! So I got a very nice 2004 24" Trinitron for $3.99. They had the brightness and contrast maxed out, and it was in "sports" mode, so I feared that the CRT was totally wasted. But that turned out not to be true. I turned everything down to a reasonable level, and it makes a stellar picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2746.jpg (47.6 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by TUD1; 01-07-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:33 PM
M is for Memory

Not long before Goodwill stopped taking CRT TVs here they were $0.49 a pop and there were dozens....No room for BPC then (or now), but that is probably the cheapest opportunity to own a 'video wall' I ever had.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Moved it to Solid State for you.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:45 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks. I've been playing music through this TV, and the "WOW by SRS" sound system is quite good. I was very surprised that a set of this vintage with a plastic cabinet could sound so good.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 PM
The Resident Brony

Hey, that's the same one I have in my bedroom for regular tv watching. I really like mine, it has the optional subwoofer inside it, I suppose that must be like yours as well. Great sound, I mean it puts any flat panel to shame in the sound category.

The man who gave it to me had used it as his living room set for many years before he got a flat panel. He insisted he had never smoked around this set. The first thing I did was open it up completely and try to get as much cigarette tar off of its innards as possible.
Audiokarma
Old 01-07-2018, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

The 24" was a big seller. Sony always ran out in a few weeks & you
had to wait til next month for another run. Just how they like it !
It was a perfect size. Fit where a 20" went most the time but
not an ugly bulky 27" Nice pix too.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-07-2018, 12:26 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Yes, I agree with that. 24" is just right for my application. I have it on top of my CTC-31, about 3-1/2 feet from my chair, and I can watch it comfortably for hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2754.jpg (71.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Analogue is Awesome

A nice purchase buddy
Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ditto what Dude said.

Nice picture. The set looks like a 2006 Trinitron I used to own (and is now used at a relative's house while I watch a widescreen HD Panasonic CRT). Another relative threw the Trinitron to the curb (kids bought her a flatscreen for Christmas), and I saved the Trinitron.

Two things that continue to amaze me:
■People are often buying flat sets only because they want to make the room look more modern. It is many of the poorest people who do this, they don't want people to think they're poor (as if living with a blue tarp on the house where the roof used to be didn't clue anyone off).
■Everywhere I go (except my own home, LOL), I'm always seeing flat screen HD sets displaying HD programs in SD with the picture not filling the screen. Often the set is on analog channel 3, with a coax from the cable or satellite box, and the owner has not explored the buttons on the remote other than power, volume and channel.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the 13" version of this set -- like yours, it's wonderful.
Audiokarma
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I remember seeing one almost identical to this a few months ago. I don't think it was a 36", but it was definitely bigger than a 24". I didn't bother with it because they wanted $40 for it. I'd really love to find the 40" XBR kind. I love the look of those.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I turned everything down to a reasonable level, and it makes a stellar picture.
I wish I knew why stores almost always turn all controls to maximum on their flat screen TVs. The resulting picture looks terrible (to say nothing of the strain this puts on the TV's power supply and other circuitry, including the display panel itself), nothing like what the set will show in someone's home, with the controls set to produce a good picture. If this is someone's idea of a sales point, I don't know what they are thinking. IMO, it is a miracle they sell as many flat screens as they do with the picture looking so awful (oversaturated colors, raster far too bright, contrast set to maximum...)

I don't know if this ploy was used as a sales point for b&w NTSC TVs, but I would guess it was, for whatever crazy reason the stores may have had at the time (maybe they thought they would sell more sets that way, as flawed as this line of reasoning seems). Flat TVs being the kind of sets they are (take it out of the box, put in on a stand or in a cabinet, hook up antenna or cable/satellite, turn it on, and watch, with little or no regard for the default control settings), this trend will likely continue indefinitely.

Sheeesh.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I wish I knew why stores almost always turn all controls to maximum on their flat screen TVs.
For the same reason that people buy the loudest speaker or the loudest vacuum cleaner. The general public will always choose the brighter TV.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
For the same reason that people buy the loudest speaker or the loudest vacuum cleaner. The general public will always choose the brighter TV.
It catches the eye. Some sets even had a demo mode. Terrible pictures.
& what do you do to choose one ? The remotes arnt there & the buttons
on the set are in an bad place thats dark. Not like the olden days where
you could easily adj for best pix.
Consumer just wants a size & whatever he is told he needs. It goes home
& never takes it out of demo. Also he may have chose the worst TV
pix wise. He has no way to know which is capable of the best pix.
The salesman dont care, he is a salesman. 99% only know what they memorized. He dont want to find the remote or move the set out so you
can get at the buttons. He never learned the world is not a colorful place
so couldnt adjust one right anyhows.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-11-2018, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find. A few years from now, I wouldn’t be surprised if these flat Trinitrons become somewhat of a collectors item. Already the 34” HD version is becoming sought after, perhaps the more common 4:3 SD sets will follow. IIRC radiotvphono on YouTube got one of these and had a favorable opinion of it. I personally wouldn’t mind having one of the 20” model.
Audiokarma