Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
I’m getting the bug for resuming my Television DX addiction. I live in the Phoenix NW valley. Las Vegas, LA and San Diego are easy day trips. Thinking about a 35 foot tower with a Televes Boss Mix on a rotor. Heard good things about the antenna. 90 miles is the theoretical limit but I’ve seen exceptions under certain atmospheric conditions. This antenna is supposed to be exceptional for long range. At the same time it removes the noise and won’t overload on strong signals.

Edit: My elevation is 1200 feet.
You do realize the specs on that antenna are fudged? The unamplified gain should be measured with respect to a tuned dipole, not a 1-meter dipole.

Also, adding the amplifier gain to the antenna gain and calling it the amplified antenna gain is bogus. The amplifier gain is useful to compensate downlead loss. The apparent 15 dB gain of their amp (reading their graph) is more than enough, but the important amplifier spec is noise figure, which they don't give. If their amplifier noise figure is worse than your TV tuner noise figure, it can actually be a detriment.

Another important amplifier spec is overload level. At least they have an option to shut it off if it suffers overload from local signals.

"Removing the noise" is an odd sounding claim - there is no way to "remove noise" from a signal - but this seems to refer to the amplifier shielding, which will help keep unwanted strong local signals that the antenna is not directly aimed at from getting into the system.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
You do realize the specs on that antenna are fudged? The unamplified gain should be measured with respect to a tuned dipole, not a 1-meter dipole.

Also, adding the amplifier gain to the antenna gain and calling it the amplified antenna gain is bogus. The amplifier gain is useful to compensate downlead loss. The apparent 15 dB gain of their amp (reading their graph) is more than enough, but the important amplifier spec is noise figure, which they don't give. If their amplifier noise figure is worse than your TV tuner noise figure, it can actually be a detriment.

Another important amplifier spec is overload level. At least they have an option to shut it off if it suffers overload from local signals.

"Removing the noise" is an odd sounding claim - there is no way to "remove noise" from a signal - but this seems to refer to the amplifier shielding, which will help keep unwanted strong local signals that the antenna is not directly aimed at from getting into the system.
The build quality looks amazing. https://youtu.be/4jFfVEN-gFM

The antenna in the video is a smaller version, but a good representation of the one I’m looking at. Do you have any recommendations for ultra long range reception?

I have a small roof mounted antenna and one day, I rescanned, got lucky and a bunch of stations locked in from outside Phoenix valley. Tucson and a bunch of others I didn’t identify. So with a tower, rotor and a really good antenna, I’m hopeful of reaching further.

Edit: current antenna has no rotor pointed at the Phoenix transmitter towers.

Last edited by etype2; 04-14-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:32 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Sorry, no recommendations to give, too hard to find companies that don't give hyped specs. That antenna may do just fine, (I'm guessing the 20 dB gain in the chart may be real for at least one frequency) but there's no real hard comparison possible.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 AM
M is for Memory

[QUOTE=Steve D.;3222580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
I have an ad for the exact model of CTC-5 I have. It features Mrs. Robert Calvert of 222 Nelson Road, Scarsdale, NY, touting how beautiful and easy to tune the pictures are, and that they have not needed a service call in a year.

Wayne,

I have a CTC-5 Deluxe chassis model. It has a 21FBP22A/21GUP22 replacement tube. Fortunately it has an RCA metal to glass tube mounting conversion kit. This allows the installation of the new tube to the existing mounting receptacles w/o using the 21AX plastic shield. The original yoke was retained.These kits are extremely rare and I have never seen another. Sorry I didn't post these photos earlier.
That looks like the stock CRT back plate and mount ears out of a CTC9.... makes me wonder if the mounting holes on the 5 and 9 masks are the same and the mount kit was simply RCA grabbing parts off the 9 line.
I have a 5 and a 9 maybe I should do an experiment to confirm.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-15-2020, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Electronic M;3222616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post

That looks like the stock CRT back plate and mount ears out of a CTC9.... makes me wonder if the mounting holes on the 5 and 9 masks are the same and the mount kit was simply RCA grabbing parts off the 9 line.
I have a 5 and a 9 maybe I should do an experiment to confirm.
Tom,

I'd be very curious to see the results of your comparison. The CTC-9 mounting plate does look similar. Difficult to see in the SAMS photo.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 CTC-9 Back view (1).jpg (135.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Steve D.; 04-15-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Audiokarma