Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2003, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

1964 zenith with space command 400

I just found this tv today. A very nice zenith with a hard to find space command option, especially on a round tube set! A man down the street from me had two old late 60s portable zenith color tvs at his curb when I was driving to work, (one was pictured on sixties tvs thread) I found another today, a silvertone. I figured this man must have more in his house somewhere, so I went and rang the door bell to see if he had anything else he was going to get out. He was an older man (83, he told me) and invited me into his house to show me what he had left. Well, the zenith you see pictured was by far the best find ever for me! He bought it new when he moved into the house in 1964. It did not work at all, it smoked when plugged in. It was still in his living room as a piece of furniture as it stopped working in 1985 from what he told me. It was well taken care of, it is almost mint, and was not a smoker. It had the light grey dust on the chassis, so it was in a good environment. I spent all afternoon on it, shorted filter cap started the filter choke to smoke, luckily I had a junk chassis to fix that, along with the capacitor. Dried up electrolytic in the remote chassis caused the remote not to work, and a bunch of bad tubes. The crt however is super bright! It did not get much use from what he told me. This has adjustable bass and treble control as opposed to the common tone control. after all the repair and remote alignment, tv sounds great and has a wonderful picture. This is rather ironic of a find, as I just mentioned a few days ago about remote contol sets being extinct! This was a good deal we made, I get the tv if I fixed his old daily watcher RCA XL-100 mural tv from 78! A simple tuner and control cleaning fixed it up.