Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Good! I was looking on the ETF copy of the schematic, and it looks like some of the green resistors aren't powered directly, but go into the interconnect plug, but I haven't traced it out yet. Very confusing, since I've never seen both radio and TV audio connected to the lone amplifier simultaneously!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Administrator

This set doesn't have a radio, and the Amp can run independent of the TV chassis & power supply, it does need the speaker due to the field coil and what appears to be a choke or some type of hum bucking coil built into it. The Sams isn't real clear on that part.
The three green resistors seem to be strung is series on this chassis, using unused socket pins to mount them.
The main power and lid switch switch are connected to the Audio chassis, there is a power socket to plug the power supply chassis in to. The HV cage also has an interlock with the power supply chassis but it's lust a loop at the HV cage, the PS won't fire up unless the HV cage and cord are in place.

I didn't think the Sams had an underside photo of the Audio chassis but I just now found it.

Lots of different cords on this one, it is a bit confusing. I've been running it by using separate cords for everything.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I've been working up an interest in finishing this project, or at least getting it all back together.
Getting it back to it's original factory state is out of the question, my goal is just to make it solid and presentable, to that end I've been working on fixing up the cabinet so I can get the chassis off my bench where it's been sitting the last couple years.

I sprayed the interior with some "Camoflauge" paint, this is to hide the water and Mouse stains and make it look a little nicer, yeah I could ahve used black or something darker but i wanted it to look less dingy.
I gave the outside a rubdown with some cherry stain to make it look better, I'll probably use toner on the hardwood trim to cover up it's many defects, the rest will get stained and lacquered eventually.
It's missing about a three inch wide strip of veneer from the left side, I'll patch it up and not worry too much about a perfect blend.

I've got it basically put back together, most of the hinges and screws and such, I had to use longer screws in most places to get a good bite in the dry wood.

Maybe soon I'll reinstall the guts and see what it'll do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projo1.jpg (33.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg projo2.jpg (21.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg projo3.jpg (45.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 PM
M is for Memory

It looks fairly good. I've seen some pre-war RCAs with gray interior paint, so it is not horribly unoriginal looking with that cammo paint.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I also call it livable. But, you really need to rebuild it electrically. These sets get a lot of shorted electrolytics, and, shorted paper caps.
I think it's worth saving.
Audiokarma
Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Took it out to the garage and spritzed some cherry toner on it today, I wanted to do that before I put the guts back in because after that it's an immovable object.

It's far from perfect, or even nice, it's actually pretty bad in person, but a lot better than the mouse infested, water damaged mess it was when I hauled it home. It's a 20 footer, i.e. it looks okay from 20 feet away.

After it dried I brought it in and put all the "stuff" back inside, Main, HV, Audio and PS chassis plus the barrel and CRT, there's still a lot of little bits that aren't on yet like the lid switch, mirror, screen, a few things that I don't even remember where they go...

It's far from working too, the Audio chassis recap needs to be finished up and all the AC cords that go between the chassis's need to be replaced and hooked up, it'll be fun figuring that out.
There are some cloth wires that are rotten and need to be replaced too but those can wait.

My main goal was to get all the parts off my bench so I don't have to work on my kitchen counter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8PCS41front.jpg (35.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 8PCS41back.jpg (54.0 KB, 31 views)