Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
No, same shift pattern = 1'st top left, 2'nd bottom left, 3'rd top middle, 4 bottom middle, 5'th top right, reverse bottom right. Most are 5 speed though some are 6..

My late Father-in-law had a weird Citroen C4 diesel six speed auto = you'd be on the on ramp of the M1 motorway so you'd floor it to get up to 70 MPH to match the speed of the other cars & the gearbox would drop down a few gears taking a second or 2 before power came back on, scared me stupid when it did that..

Wayne next door just today has got a new company supplied Lexus auto, I had a drive & very nice it is. BTW mines a Hyundai i10 auto, I'm not jealous, no I'm not, honest I'm not. OK then I am..
Does the neighbor's employer actually own the car or just lease it? It's a very common practice in the US. Those cars are rather expensive even here!
BTW, what is VAT?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

VAT = "Value Added Tax" , it's a tax European folks have to pay for having "Luxury" items instead of cheaper base models . I only know of this because I have European relatives that I've spent time visiting .
Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Does the neighbor's employer actually own the car or just lease it? It's a very common practice in the US. Those cars are rather expensive even here!
BTW, what is VAT?
Yes it is leased, he has a better car every year, a few year ago they gave him a clapped out van but he's a bossman now... I used to lease cars when I was a driving instructor, however I paid cash for my i10 2 years ago just before the higher car tax kicked in...
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
BTW, what is VAT?
Yes it's value added tax as init4fun says, it's 20% on just about everything except most food, but sweets & takeaways are VAT'd. New cars have car purchase tax based on CO2 emissions plus VAT. Petrol (gas) has a tax on it, then they put VAT on the whole lot including the tax, so they actually tax a tax. You also pay a road fund tax every month, 6 months or year, mines just over 12 pounds a month taken straight out of the bank. You used to have a tax disc to put in your windscreen with expiry date on it but they scraped that a few years ago, they know if you have not paid by a number plate (tag) data base the cops have access to, they also have roadside camera's all over the place to keep an eye on you, big brother is watching...
Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Yes it's value added tax as init4fun says, it's 20% on just about everything except most food, but sweets & takeaways are VAT'd. New cars have car purchase tax based on CO2 emissions plus VAT. Petrol (gas) has a tax on it, then they put VAT on the whole lot including the tax, so they actually tax a tax. You also pay a road fund tax every month, 6 months or year, mines just over 12 pounds a month taken straight out of the bank. You used to have a tax disc to put in your windscreen with expiry date on it but they scraped that a few years ago, they know if you have not paid by a number plate (tag) data base the cops have access to, they also have roadside camera's all over the place to keep an eye on you, big brother is watching...
GEEZ, it sounds like every driver over there is under almost as much scrutiny, not to mention taxes, as big rig truck (lorry) drivers are in North America. No wonder they don't like cops.
Audiokarma
Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yes it is leased, he has a better car every year, a few year ago they gave him a clapped out van but he's a bossman now... I used to lease cars when I was a driving instructor, however I paid cash for my i10 2 years ago just before the higher car tax kicked in...
It seems that in a few years, he's going to get a Rolls-Royce.
I hope he has a garage to park it in.
Most US leasing concerns, the minimum lease time is two years.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

He doesn't have a garage, he has room for one though. I now have a garage, it's got that much junk in it we can hardly get the car in...

When I leased cars they were for 2 years with option to buy after then, but I never did. When my retina detached I had to stop driving instructing & broke my lease penalty free, I sent them a doctors note & that was it = no more money to pay...

He's going to Australia for a month in may to visit the in-laws & we're cat sitting for them, offered to car sit but he just smirked, lol...
Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
He doesn't have a garage, he has room for one though. I now have a garage, it's got that much junk in it we can hardly get the car in...

When I leased cars they were for 2 years with option to buy after then, but I never did. When my retina detached I had to stop driving instructing & broke my lease penalty free, I sent them a doctors note & that was it = no more money to pay...

He's going to Australia for a month in may to visit the in-laws & we're cat sitting for them, offered to car sit but he just smirked, lol...
I guess the garage issue is universal!
It's a going joke in the country that people have $5,000 worth of possessions in the garage, while a $50,000 car sits outside.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

VAT killed a very thriving industry-the luxury car industry in France. VAT wasn't entirely responsible, but B4 the war, they had a luxury car industry that was second to none in the world. Delages, Delahayes, Bugattis-The REAL ones, not today's over-wrought Volkswagens, Panhard & Levassors, & several others were the pride of La Belle France. They re-vamped their income tax system after the war, & it assumed that if you owned a car that cost a lot of Francs-you were taxed accordingly. That is at least partly wht today, you have NO French equivalents of Rolls-Royce, Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche/Audi. You just KNOW, what with all the bother Ze French have had w/those dirty Boeschts in the last century, the fact there are no luxury cars regarded as "World Class" sporting the Tricolor MUST cheese a few of 'em off greatly...
Old 02-13-2019, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Damn shame. Kind of like Cord and Deusenburg disappearing here during the depression/war. There's Peugeot/Citroen's modern DS line, I guess those are supposed to be luxury.

The French did have great potential for luxury, their cars handle and ride very well, even my old neglected Pug 505.

Now if I could just get my hands on a big Citroen.........
Audiokarma
Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Another thing that is rather PAINFULLY evident is that the French NEVER understood the American market. The "Goddess" Citroens were fantastic cars, in many ways they have never been equaled, let alone surpassed, & the French never fielded a car that could have given our friends from Wolfsburg something to think about. Have LONG admired the Deaux Cheveau, but I dunno if I'd really wanna try to LIVE w/one in this country. They're just TOO crude & unrefined, & we won't even talk about their hopeless lack of power & amenities. I had a great aunt who had a late Sixties Poo-Joe, & it was maybe the LEAST unconventional Frenchy car then, But I always thought it was STILL plenty weird. The Renault Dauphins I remember from the Sixties may have been France's answer to the Beetle, but they didn't have the Beetle's legendary reliability, or charm. I THINK another thing that killed Renault over here was their lack of adequate parts.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
This car talk can really get crazy!
I went to a garage sale several years ago and some stuck up looking broad stopped as well, driving one of those death-traps, a so-called Smart Car. I was driving my old Toyota Prius. I remarked the my car gets at least 5 MPG more than that thing you're driving and it has a little more room in it, plus it's safer.
Naturally the bimbo mentioned the costly batteries.
The Prius is reliable, many go to 300K with little or nothing other than basic maintenance. And it doesn't need Premium fuel either. My 1997 Volvo 960 Sedan got the same MPG as a Smart Car and with a straight 6 engine. My present Ford Taurus SE Wagon with a 3 liter, Duratec 24V engine is better on fuel economy. Both are safer.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
The Prius is reliable, many go to 300K with little or nothing other than basic maintenance. And it doesn't need Premium fuel either. My 1997 Volvo 960 Sedan got the same MPG as a Smart Car and with a straight 6 engine. My present Ford Taurus SE Wagon with a 3 liter, Duratec 24V engine is better on fuel economy. Both are safer.
The Prius is really a rather interesting design! Everything seems to work as it should.
The first issue with the batteries was at 200K miles. When the check engine indicator came on, when I ran the scanner, showed a bad cell in the one of the cell packs. There is 28 cell packs in the main battery module.
I found used replacement cell packs on the E-place. Replacing it is very labor intensive as there is a lot of disassembly in the rear of the car. Interesting, to be sure.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wayne from next door has put petrol (gasoline) in his new Lexus instead of diesel, of course it has now conked out & he's not a happy chappy... I have never wanted a diesel as I just know I'd forget & put petrol in it by mistake, I'm a bit daft like that...
Old 02-25-2019, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Wayne from next door has put petrol (gasoline) in his new Lexus instead of diesel, of course it has now conked out & he's not a happy chappy... I have never wanted a diesel as I just know I'd forget & put petrol in it by mistake, I'm a bit daft like that...
If one were to put Diesel into a gasoline engine's tank , no big deal , the less volatile fuel simply won't burn and the engine quits . Clean out the fuel system , refill with gasoline , and the car will run again (I know this for fact since the Mrs. did just that)

BUT !

Put gasoline into a Diesel engine's tank and the usual end result is the engine gets damaged by the more volatile fuel , I wouldn't be surprised if the next you hear from your neighbor is how the new Lexus now needs a new engine
Audiokarma