Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2022, 03:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

1948 A.R.C. Tom Thumb Portable Radio

Hello everyone, yesterday afternoon I went to the Antique Mall and picked up an Automatic Radio Company A.T.T.P (Automatic Tom Thumb Portable) Radio from about 1948 that can run off of either Battery AC/DC wall power or Rechargeable Batteries. the "A" Batteries are just normal "C" Batteries but the "B" Battery is of the 67 1/2 Volt variety.

I have 2 issues with this radio:

1.) There is a .02 µF 400V paper capacitor hanging loose on pin 3 of Right rear tube socket (3S4?) and the other side of the cap is cut out of circuit and I can't figure out where it would of went to originally as the Rider's for it is not too clear about the different pins tube sockets, and also there don't seem to be any .02 µF capacitors in this radio according to Rider's only .002 µF or .05 µF in that general area of the radio.

2.) This radio uses a 67.5 V "B" battery assembly which as we all know are no longer available, and I know that with the 90 V "B" Battery you can just Daisy Chain 10 9V Batteries in Series to make 90 V but a 67.5 V battery you have to use 45 "AA" or "AAA" batteries in series to make 67.5 V which isn't very easy to do because most "AA" or "AAA" Battery clips only hold 4 batteries at a time I haven't seen any "AA" or "AAA" battery clips that hold 5 at a time.

My question is, what have you guys done to make a modern version of the 67.5 "B" battery and how do I figure out what the loose hanging capacitor in the radio goes to without access to a very good schematic?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 10-10-2022 at 03:47 AM.