Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2022, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I have a Magnavox Berkeley 134 and bought two JJ Tesla 6L6 when these were less $$. The original Ken Rad 6L6G seem to be OK, so the JJ's made little difference.
Matching tubes is necessary if closer to design limits, but Magnavox is usually tame enough on two good tubes, so this is a non-issue.
This amp is rated for 20 watts in Magnavox CR198 here http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...5/M0010335.pdf

But 1947 sales literature I for the Berkeley stated 15 watts from the two speakers. Looking at Antique Electronic Supply website, a 5881 will work, listed for $26.

RCA or Ken Rad (GE) metal versions of 6L6, of which my 1948 Windsor has four, is rated 45 watts. These are more reasonably priced. https://www.ebay.com/itm/35423726914...Bk9SR-DLz7fbYA
My Unit has the CR-198E which I'm not sure if that makes any difference in the power rating department or not or how they used the 6L6s.

Also my Bass Control seems to make very little difference in adjusting the Bass Response on my unit, the Treble Control works great, and so does the tuning range response adjustment control built into the treble control, just the bass control seems to be non-functional, any ideas as to why the bass control is unresponsive?
Old 08-27-2022, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was able to find some NOS 6L6GB tubes for $25 a piece which I think is a bargain compared to some of the other 6L6 tubes that are going for $50 or $60 a piece.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

She's Fixed! I was able to finally source a proper (and more compatible) Ceramic cartridge for my record player on my console and I also ended up having to use the FM Audio Hookup on the back and it sounds great!

I have a video of the unit playing a record (an old HiFi theater organ LP from the 1950s) that gives you an idea of what this thing sounds like and keep in mind it still has all of the original components (except one capacitor I replaced in the bass control that was keeping the bass control from working correctly and replacement NOS 6L6GB tubes installed that was replacing the original 6L6G tubes that were microphonic.)

See link below for the video in question.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPLJQQ39fhb8agyj9