Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

want to try fixing a VCR

Hey guys I have an '80s Fisher Studio standard VCR. Someone gave it to me and they said it worked back in the day but that was a very long time ago, it has no power at all. I wanted to know if there was a forum on here that I could work on this thing on, and hopefully you guys could help me out. The model number is fvh-816. I already opened it and checked to see if the fuse was popped it wasn't, and power seems to be coming through the main Transformer.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:48 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

If it's the one I seem to remember, there's a "supercap" for the memory backup that fails and the unit's system control microprocessor won't get it's initial reset boot-up when plugged in. It will just sit there with a dead clock and do nothing. The "supercap" is probably a .47F 5.5V or something close to that and as I recall is on a top board you can see with the top cabinet off. Been 20-30 years since I worked on one though. Maybe others will have more ideas if that isn't it. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
If it's the one I seem to remember, there's a "supercap" for the memory backup that fails and the unit's system control microprocessor won't get it's initial reset boot-up when plugged in. It will just sit there with a dead clock and do nothing. The "supercap" is probably a .47F 5.5V or something close to that and as I recall is on a top board you can see with the top cabinet off. Been 20-30 years since I worked on one though. Maybe others will have more ideas if that isn't it. Good luck!
That's exactly what's happening the clock is dead nothing lights at all. Do you remember where it was, like in the back near the power supply or more towards the front near the clock?
Old 05-14-2024, 08:08 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperna1985 View Post
That's exactly what's happening the clock is dead nothing lights at all. Do you remember where it was, like in the back near the power supply or more towards the front near the clock?
Like I said it's been a long time since I even looked at one of these VCRs. As I recall it's on a board on top toward the front of the unit. Take a picture of it with the top off and post it maybe I can spot it.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:28 PM
blast, blast...

I worked on a lot of VCRs in the 90's, including Fisher's, but never a model FVH-816. My records jump from model FVH-810M to model FVH-820.

On the back of your VCR will be a FCC ID# that most likely starts with the letters "AFA". If you would quote that number to me I'll see if I can cross reference the model to a similar model that I've worked on before and maybe there will be a clue to the problem in yours.
Audiokarma