Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Anybody Know Anything...

..About EARLY Panasonic color sets ? I have a 9" CT-993 that I just got back from Terry ystrday. It is HUGE, about half again as big as most color 9" sets I've seen, & has to weigh 20-25 lbs.. I wonder when it was made..I'm thinking 1968-70 or thereabouts...It LOOKS to be all solid-state, the only thing glowing inside is the CRT. It's got a steel case w/vinyl woodgrain covering it, which honestly doesn't look all THAT bad. 2 rabbit ears, one has the end broken off...Just a neat set.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Honestly.....I have NEVER seen any Panasonic tube set. I have alot of little tiny Panasonic sets around, but they are all from the 70s-80's. The only color one I have is a CT9R10T set. It's a 9"..but at 1997 and being a little white plastic set of respectable small dimensions (I actually like this little set and it's remote alot)...It's going to be quite obviously solid state (except for it's CRT of course). I do also have that little CT-101 color set from 1984.....and OF COURSE the dinky little thing is solid state :-P

I thought ALL Panasonic sets were solid state....just like Sony's very first set being the 8-301 (1959) being solid state. I don't think I have seen a Panasonic set from the '60s though. My earliest Panasonic is the TR-535 (reffered to as a "BladeRunner" because it appears in the movie Bladerunner)...and it's dated November 1976.

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-08-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, pretty sure its solid-state, it SAYS so on the case...Just wondering the time frame on it. Terry said it was built like a TANK...And hoisting it kinda bears that out...The UHF tuner is almost frozen up on it....Apparently, whatever kind of material they used back then deteriorates over time.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
..About EARLY Panasonic color sets ? I have a 9" CT-993 that I just got back from Terry ystrday. It is HUGE, about half again as big as most color 9" sets I've seen, & has to weigh 20-25 lbs.. I wonder when it was made..I'm thinking 1968-70 or thereabouts...It LOOKS to be all solid-state, the only thing glowing inside is the CRT. It's got a steel case w/vinyl woodgrain covering it, which honestly doesn't look all THAT bad. 2 rabbit ears, one has the end broken off...Just a neat set.
hey sandy post a picture of that tv ,while was hunting for a schematic for my magi i am repairing i ran across a few panasonic schematics from that time , i noticed them because i didnt think they made them that old.

Last edited by snelson903; 09-08-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have a 9" CT-993 that I just got back from Terry ystrday. It is HUGE, about half again as big as most color 9" sets I've seen, & has to weigh 20-25 lbs.. I wonder when it was made.
I wish you had a digital camera! I suspect that it is not much larger than the early (1970) Sony KV-9000 Trinitron. Here is a KV 9000 ad for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Print-A...item564bec1f30

looks light? carry around with one finger? Tiny? Well, no mine weighs in at nearly 22 lbs and is about 12.5" high X 10" wide X 14" deep. The "stepped" tapered construction of the Sony might make it appear to be smaller than the Panasonic, but I would guess that the sets are similar in size. What does the Panasonic measure?

not affiliated with ad seller,
jr
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Ain't got a tape measure handy, but the Panny IS bigger, I'm pretty sure, than the Sony-My sister had one of those, & IIRC, the Panny's considerably heavier. But it IS "Upright" construction/design like that..
Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Mark

What I know is that it is a higher end model, the others from that time period have tubes. ALL are well built but the set you have was almost 400 bucks when new. Excellent score Sandy! I've been looking for sets like that for some time now to no avail. I'd love to have the tube sets from the era as well. I did find one at a Chicago estate sale a while ago where there was a 1966 Panasonic which I REALLY REALLY wanted but Doug Harland got that one, he left me a 21" '71 Panasonic at the sale that I purchased and was really happy to have but then before I loaded it into my car he offered a monetary amount that could not refuse (more than 3 times what I paid) and I sold it. Now, I wish I wouldn't have. The very GOOD amount of money is gone, the set would still be with me and now the search still continues.......
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26