Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Yah, my first computer was $3K too.... Mac LCII With 100Meg HD Still have it...
And the Mac pricing trend continues today. My first Mac was a IIci, got it in Y2K I believe. Got to wonder what my PowerBook 1400cs cost new. Might be something of a rarity as it's labeled 1400cs/166 when it actually runs at 117MHz. Also, I have a DayStar 33MHz 68040 upgrade card for the Mac II series, save the IIfx of course. Unfortunately I don't have the adapter necessary for pre-IIci units.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just because this guy wouldn't do it doesn't mean others won't. It might still be worth a try with another recycler. But, as mentioned, you might have to be a little flexible. You'll probably get a lot more basket cases than gems at first, but as you get to know them you might get more selective.

I don't know that I'd give up on the first guy yet either. Persistence may work. You have nothing to loose. Maybe bring him and his assistant some sodas or a box of donuts next time he's out collecting and show him you're serious. As the old saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Not sure how I got here.

KV; Would you believe $2500. for that PB1400 !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_1400

http://lowendmac.com/1996/powerbook-1400/

I remember the 1400's new in stores, They were pretty neat at the time, but were quickly made obsolete as Al invented the Internet just a few weeks later and not having a built in Modem and Ethernet poo poo-d that model as the 5300's were coming out, and they did Internet. That and the campfire option on the 5300's battery was much cooler as the 1400's just did their work without much frills or HOT entertainment.... It's an ok 7.61 - 8.1 machine..... Most of those early PPC's of low Mhz did better on 7.6.1 running in 68K mode..... Like my Performa 6200CD The Edsel of PPC early macs had a 601 or 603 and for some reason could not run without crashing unless you stuck with 7.6.1 and ran 68K mode..... I think it was 75mhz.... About 35mph with bad accelerator pump if it were a car.....

And by the way, That LCII was the only NEW in box with NEW Electronics Smell included computer I ever bought.....
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yup, I can believe it. My 1400 came with a PowerPort Platinum modem/ethernet card. The battery was stone dead, wouldn't take a charge, so I pried open the case and removed the cells, leaving the tray to preserve the computer's appearance. It still snaps in just fine sans cover. Dunno what its car equivalent is, but it's dog-slow with OS 8.5. I want to put the original 7.5.3 back on it, I have the CD. Lost out on the NOS CD-ROM module on eBay by a couple of days darn it.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Not sure how I got here.

7.6.1 was much better...... 7.5.3 had stability problems, and 7.6.1 was the last of its line so they cared about products they were about to orphan, so they fixed a lot and made the last support run a good one.... There was a lot written about 761, you should still be able to find it, maybe on low end mac.... And 8.5.1 was suppose to be better than 8.6. So run a back up and keep it if you don't have a 8.5 CD. And 8.1 you could still run on a 68K machine....

In my opinion 8.x was better than 9.x Especially that stupid Sherlock..... or was it Sherlock 2...?

Last edited by Username1; 03-18-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I think I would lose the "Welcome to Macintosh" dialog box if I were to go for 7.6.1. and the OS name was officially changed from "System" to "Mac OS". I'm rather fussy about those things, and besides, that computer wouldn't be used regularly.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I will note that a few years back I got in touch with the man in charge of recycling for our tri-county area. He was very friendly and actually did give my name to a couple people looking to get rid of sets (though they both turned out to be later model junk.)

For a few years the state of Delaware operated a warehouse store at one of their waste facilities. They sold all kinds of stuff that looked too good to put in the landfill. I had visions of, say, a porthole Zenith console, so made the long trip upstate to check it out. The oldest electronics were some 80s stuff, but I did load up on a big pile (well, maybe a bushel basket full) of cloth covered wire, something like 8 or 10 connector. Must have been from sold old, old PA or organ installation? $5
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
I think I would lose the "Welcome to Macintosh" dialog box if I were to go for 7.6.1. and the OS name was officially changed from "System" to "Mac OS". I'm rather fussy about those things, and besides, that computer wouldn't be used regularly.
Yah, I believe that was when they decided they would try and pull off a Microsucks and license out their OS to other hardware manufacturers.... Kinda backfired on them really hard when the stuff hit the market and was cheaper and much faster..... Like they couldn't see that coming....
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I have found that as the country moves "forward" it's best not to bother trying to right the many new wrongs, and this is one of them..... Best not to go there...
This Saturday, April 19th, Habitat for Humanity is accepting electronic scrap, for a small donation. I have a few items, that I'm getting rid of, including bad Zenith CRT's, computer parts.
Dropping the stuff off and getting out in a hurry.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
This Saturday, April 19th, Habitat for Humanity is accepting electronic scrap, for a small donation. I have a few items, that I'm getting rid of, including bad Zenith CRT's, computer parts.
Dropping the stuff off and getting out in a hurry.
One good thing about living in an apartment, I can just put electronic junk in the dumpster for free. Any big CRTs lose their necks first, smaller sets just get their CRTs aired and are put back together, and all are wrapped in huge trash bags for disguise, um, disposal.
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

One organization I DO NOT like is Habitat for Humanity. They always destroy our heritage from destroying old/vintage electronics to bringing in the big, huge excavators and smashing down older/heritage homes for their builds. Habitat for Humanity needs to go the way of 85% of America's silent films from 1912 to 1929-Lost Forever! Amen!
The same goes for a lot of e-waste "recyclers" as well-GONE like the dodo bird. Gone, gone and gone.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
One organization I DO NOT like is Habitat for Humanity. They always destroy our heritage from destroying old/vintage electronics to bringing in the big, huge excavators and smashing down older/heritage homes for their builds. Habitat for Humanity needs to go the way of 85% of America's silent films from 1912 to 1929-Lost Forever! Amen!
The same goes for a lot of e-waste "recyclers" as well-GONE like the dodo bird. Gone, gone and gone.
The HFH just acquired around five old homes in the larger city to the north of my place. They suffered from lack of maintenance and general neglect. None of them were real architectural gems, just workman's type homes. Some a little better than others, but none real valuable.
They're probably only going to build three homes in the same place, as the lots were small and the old homes were too close together.