Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right before he passed away my father bought a brand new Ram pickup with the Pentastar V6. Amazing gas mileage for a full-size pickup, an honest 26mpg as I recall. As for the 2.7, well, when I was working as a service writer I had to give the bad news to way too many folks that their Mopar needed an engine. Most were abandoned or the customer hauled them in for scrap.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Actually I think the disaster 2.7 is the last engine designed before the Mercedes takeover. Chrysler always had solid engines until they launched that pig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
As for the 2.7, well, when I was working as a service writer I had to give the bad news to way too many folks that their Mopar needed an engine. Most were abandoned or the customer hauled them in for scrap.
Oh yeah. The 2.7 is a bit of a turd. Though to be totally fair, it was just really sensitive. I've seen a couple that weren't dogged, and got regular oil changes (and I mean religiously), and they were just peachy. I honestly wouldn't want one for myself though lol.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Agreed, the ones we saw in the shop were owned by the type of person who changes their oil if a) they happen to think about it while at Wal*Mart or b) the oil light comes on. They'll drive around for months with the "change oil soon" indicator on. Check their windshield & you'll find a faded sticker from Quickie Lube letting them know their next change should be by 78,345. Odometer now reads 102,998. In the back seat of their Sebring, buried under mounds of Big Mac wrappers, Twinkies boxes & empty 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke ("I'm diabetic, you know") you'll find a couple empty bottles of that sweet miracle elixir for automotive engines everywhere, Warren 30w non-detergent, ever flying off the shelf down at Dollar General.

If you ever get behind an Accord that blows blue smoke, you're following one of these car owners. The Honda engines somehow manage to survive longer under such misuse than those 2.7's. I do recall spending a lot of time learning all about one of the common failure items-it had something to do with the front of the engine & a rather complicated way that things fit together. We were trying to come up with a repair vs replace option for a good customer who was a truly nice lady but also the poster child for what I described above. Poor thing later got talked into buying a VW, as I recall. All I could do was shake my head.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Agreed, the ones we saw in the shop were owned by the type of person who changes their oil if a) they happen to think about it while at Wal*Mart or b) the oil light comes on. They'll drive around for months with the "change oil soon" indicator on. Check their windshield & you'll find a faded sticker from Quickie Lube letting them know their next change should be by 78,345. Odometer now reads 102,998. In the back seat of their Sebring, buried under mounds of Big Mac wrappers, Twinkies boxes & empty 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke ("I'm diabetic, you know") you'll find a couple empty bottles of that sweet miracle elixir for automotive engines everywhere, Warren 30w non-detergent, ever flying off the shelf down at Dollar General.

If you ever get behind an Accord that blows blue smoke, you're following one of these car owners. The Honda engines somehow manage to survive longer under such misuse than those 2.7's. I do recall spending a lot of time learning all about one of the common failure items-it had something to do with the front of the engine & a rather complicated way that things fit together. We were trying to come up with a repair vs replace option for a good customer who was a truly nice lady but also the poster child for what I described above. Poor thing later got talked into buying a VW, as I recall. All I could do was shake my head.
My late uncle had a hobby of collecting 1920's cars, knew how to treat cars/wasn't in the rolling fast food garbage can crowd, but I the 80's bought a new Honda and decided to drive it 100k without changing the oil....He never had a single problem with it, and sold it in good shape.

Most blue smoke Hondas I've seen either are rice rockets or poorly made wannbes....Or ancient clunkers that have easily north of 300k on the clock....One has to be doing some really harsh driving to get it smoking under 100k.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 05-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
LOL

I know exactly what you mean! Actually I just got a call from a friend-of-a-friend today. He's one of those people. He called me today and told me that he was "pulled over" for sleeping in his car, and he was probably drunk off his ass, so they impounded his car - not entirely sure why - and he asked me how to get his car out of the impound with expired plates on it. He was supposed to come in for emission repairs like 6 months ago (so he could renew his plate stickers). He's literally a hoarder though. Like us guys might have a house full of TVs and radios, and bits and bobs, but this guy literally hoards garbage. Like newspapers and magazines. His car is filled to the brim with just worthless papers and food wrappers. I mean FILLED. I mean the rear suspension is bottomed out under the weight.

The 2.7's just get sludged up easily, and it blocks the oil galleries, ceasing lubrication and destroying the motor. It's like cholesterol. I seen my share of them. Open the valve cover, and it's like somebody filled it with tar. I've seen a few like that after the engine was already blown, and a few that were still running ok, and either way had to give the customer the bad news and a good scolding.
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
LOL

I know exactly what you mean! Actually I just got a call from a friend-of-a-friend today. He's one of those people. He called me today and told me that he was "pulled over" for sleeping in his car, and he was probably drunk off his ass, so they impounded his car - not entirely sure why - and he asked me how to get his car out of the impound with expired plates on it. He was supposed to come in for emission repairs like 6 months ago (so he could renew his plate stickers). He's literally a hoarder though. Like us guys might have a house full of TVs and radios, and bits and bobs, but this guy literally hoards garbage. Like newspapers and magazines. His car is filled to the brim with just worthless papers and food wrappers. I mean FILLED. I mean the rear suspension is bottomed out under the weight.

The 2.7's just get sludged up easily, and it blocks the oil galleries, ceasing lubrication and destroying the motor. It's like cholesterol. I seen my share of them. Open the valve cover, and it's like somebody filled it with tar. I've seen a few like that after the engine was already blown, and a few that were still running ok, and either way had to give the customer the bad news and a good scolding.
Does Synthetic oil build up sludge?
The worst driving is short trip city driving, where the engine never gets up to temp. Slow traffic speeds and very little highway or expressway use.
When I lived in the city the oil looked like I never changed it after only 500 miles. Now, living out in God's country, I can look at the oil after 2000 miles and it still looks clean. I change my oil every 3500-4000 miles in my daily driver.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Does Synthetic oil build up sludge?
It's certainly less prone to it. But it's still basically the same amalgam of hydrocarbons as regular oil. So no matter what anyone might say, it's still a possibility. It's also important to remember that while synthetic oil can take a lot more beating before the molecules break down, it's simply the nature of the internal combustion engine to contaminate the oil. Whether you run synthetic or not, it gets dirty at the same rate.

Also stop and go driving is bad for the oil, and everything in general, because there's a lot of engine under load (accelerating). Rural driving has a lot more cruising, which really doesn't put stress on much of anything.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked at a car today that just had me shaking my head. 2017 model (I won't name names but, while not cream of the crop, it should be good for over 200k like everything else these days.) 35k on the clock & the engine is toast. How? Last oil change was at 16k. No warranty for you, my friend!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
35k on the clock & the engine is toast. How? Last oil change was at 16k. No warranty for you, my friend!
No kidding. Newer cars are increasingly sensitive to bad oil. Firstly, most new cars run very thin 0W20 oil, which naturally gets even thinner after it's been used a bit, and it has to be that thin for efficiency (to meet EPA shit) and also to run oil based things like cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing. But sadly, 0W20 is kind of pushing the envelope of how thin you can have your engine oil.

All I can say is, if you buy a newer car, change that oil religiously.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM
M is for Memory

My mom's ~2011 CR-V has had problems where it would not want to start unless floored (as the tow truck driver showed us) when the oil was close to needing a change and it had not been driven for 3+ days...That and the Takada death bags took them down a few rungs in her mind.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
My mom's ~2011 CR-V has had problems where it would not want to start unless floored (as the tow truck driver showed us) when the oil was close to needing a change and it had not been driven for 3+ days...That and the Takada death bags took them down a few rungs in her mind.
Maybe it's time to step up to a Mopar!

Last edited by Celt; 05-03-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I looked at a car today that just had me shaking my head. 2017 model (I won't name names but, while not cream of the crop, it should be good for over 200k like everything else these days.) 35k on the clock & the engine is toast. How? Last oil change was at 16k. No warranty for you, my friend!
One of my neighbors at the workshop had a 2009 Kia Rio. For an el-cheapo it ran well and he always changed to oil with Amsoil and used their filter. At 60K miles he had the timing belt changed to maintain the 100K warrantee.
At a little over 120K the timing belt snapped and trashed the engine. It was kind of one of those round-to-its.
Had a salvage yard engine installed and that one spun a bearing a month later. The car got junked! The replacement engine probably wasn't maintained very well.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was at a Kia dealer service department one day last year & the mechanic (who looked about 18 y.o.) was showing me an engine he was replacing on a late model. The oil hadn't been changed. He took me out back & there was a long row of trashed engines lined up along the wall. Later I visited a Hyundai dealer and, indeed, along the back of the building was a long row of trashed engines. I am very certain that the cause was not that of the typical Kia/Hyundai engine but of the typical Kia/Hyundai owner!
Old 05-04-2018, 01:09 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
At a little over 120K the timing belt snapped and trashed the engine. It was kind of one of those round-to-its.
Had a salvage yard engine installed and that one spun a bearing a month later. The car got junked! The replacement engine probably wasn't maintained very well.
That's a shame. He'd've been way better off just doing the head and valves on his engine. At least he knew what he was gonna get, opposed to a junk yard engine with "40k miles on it." Lying junk yarders. The number they claim is ALWAYS 40k!

Quote:
I am very certain that the cause was not that of the typical Kia/Hyundai engine but of the typical Kia/Hyundai owner!
Damn right. I've rarely seen much in the way of mechanical issues with Kia/Hyundai.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
That's a shame. He'd've been way better off just doing the head and valves on his engine. At least he knew what he was gonna get, opposed to a junk yard engine with "40k miles on it." Lying junk yarders. The number they claim is ALWAYS 40k!

Damn right. I've rarely seen much in the way of mechanical issues with Kia/Hyundai.
With an interference engine, isn't there more damage to the engine than the just the head and valves? Possible damage to the piston faces or block.
BTW, salvage yard reported 88K miles on the engine.
Audiokarma