Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

beta vcrs and hi8 vcrs

Lately i have been searching out for a hi-fi beta vcr but most of the ones on ebay or other places people want almost or around the price they cost when they were new. the only time i ever find one that is cheaper or cheap is when its broken in some way either wont take a tape or it wont spool the tape or the belts are gone. right now i have 2 matching sears/sanyo mono units which arent hi-fi and are sorta very low end i would want to get a better recorder. also the same goes for finding a hi8 vcr. those are next to impossible to get my hands on and even if i ever see one they want 600 to 800 if they are working and around 100 to 300 or so broken. i do know some of the hi8 and digital8 sony handycams would record like a vcr but i am not sure which models to look for that actually have the vcr function rather then just playback. if anyone might have anything like this let me know.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Sony TR-101 camcorder has composite video and line level audio in and out. One set of jacks switchable between in and out. Might have S-video connector, too... don't exactly remember. It has no digital out.

The Sony DCR-TRV520 Digital8 camcorder has switchable analog I/O as well. In addition, it has "DV"/Firewire I/O (iLink). It will allow playback of Analog Hi8 tapes directly to a digital computer input. (Worth the price of admission right there...) It will also do analog/digital pass-thru transcoding.

These are the only units I'm personally familiar with. I've used the Sony "pro" Hi8 machines, which were devoid of tuners and timers. Don't know of any still kicking around.

You're facing supply/demand issues in pricing on working equipment. For example, I have a great NEC VC-N70EU Beta Hi-Fi machine that was retired for format reasons, not because of failure. I'm sure it needs some service now, but it's not going out the door for $20, because they don't make 'em anymore. If I have a project where I need it, I'll resurrect it... and then the "pry it outta my hands" price will be quite high, because they don't make 'em anymore, it works, and I "just needed it last week."

Best bet is to keep an eye on CL, and be prepared for some tweaking once you find it.

Good luck!

Chip
Old 01-05-2015, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Working units go for good money these days, even for non-hi fi models. Most beta machines are old enough now that they need work, and lots of people who still use beta are competing for fewer machines that still work. Most will be fine with a set of new belts installed, i immagine. I have the same issue, i have 3 Sanyo beta machines, but they all need belts now.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 PM
M is for Memory

I've got both formats. My hifi betas are finicky and need attention most times I want to use them. My Hi8 was an old pro-machine that I found topless at a surplus store for under 15$....That hi8 deck could be pried out of my hands for just north of triple that price. It works as found, but there was some noise in the recordings I made (though I recorded off a noisy tape being played in another VCR so I don't know where the noise all came from).

My beta hifi decks came from a thrift store and a antique radio swapmeet respectively so I got them for less than 10$ a piece.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-05-2015, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

around where i live most electronics that people dont want anymore get recycled or scrapped for free and then there goes stuff that people could have used. anytime someone wants to sell something on craigslist they want to nickle and dime ya even if the thing doesnt work just cause it looks good and has stuff with it. the beta vcrs i have that are sorta junk which they are they have issues where if the tape is rewound to the beginning sometimes it doesnt like to play or record immedatly and act as if the tape is jammed or like the reels and it takes a few tries to get it to go but they do work but i dont like mono to well. mono usually has a lower audio level and sorta muffled audio too. the hi8 units i never see but on ebay mostly. if i had a handycam that was hi8 and had the in and out that would be nice cause then i could use it as a vcr rather then just a video camera and playback unit
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I should add that, although camcorders have A/V I/O, their poor performance in shuttle, jog, and basic mode changes makes it a poor substitute for a VCR. Sure, it beats writing down the logic state of the A-to-D converter on a series of PostIt notes, but it'll never be "snappy". It's just fine for occasional transfer of shoot tapes into your editor, though.

Chip
Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
I should add that, although camcorders have A/V I/O, their poor performance in shuttle, jog, and basic mode changes makes it a poor substitute for a VCR. Sure, it beats writing down the logic state of the A-to-D converter on a series of PostIt notes, but it'll never be "snappy". It's just fine for occasional transfer of shoot tapes into your editor, though.

Chip

well i would just use it for recording to tape and play back tape from tv or other sources myself. if only i found one that has video in rather then just out