Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony CCD-TR71 issues

Would like to ask if anyone can help with a few issues. I have this cam that I purchased back in 1992 and has served me well for many years. It was dormant for about 15 years and when I tried to use it, discovered 2 issues which I hope someone may have some history with. First, when I turn on the cam, the viewfinder shows a black background and a bright white stripe vertically and centrally to the field of view. Needless to say, it is useless for recording as such.

Second, when playing back several video tapes, there was much waviness, unclear video and some sound distortion. As I played the tapes longer, things got better but not perfect. Would there be any benefit to using an unopened V8-25CLH cleaning cassette, taking it to a shop where they could try a known good recording to isolate whether it's old/bad tape or dirty heads, and have them clean it, or is it time to say goodbye to the cam corder and have the tapes (if any are good enough) transferred to disc. Thanks for any thoughts as the recordings are of precious moments.

Lou
Old 02-21-2015, 03:42 PM
M is for Memory

The line sounds like horizontal deflection failure. Is there a full picture when playing a tape? If so then it is camera section failure instead of the viewfinder.

I think the playback issues are probably failed electrolytic capacitors, though a dirty linear track sound/control track tape head could be the problem.
As a general rule it is bad to let an electronic device go unused for more than 3 months. Electrolytic capacitors need to have voltage across them periodically to keep them from going bad... Tape on the other hand lasts forever unless you store it under horrendous conditions. I have Umatic video tapes from the early 70's that still play just fine, and audio tapes older than the 60's that still sound as good as ever....Hell, with the way DVD-R and some pre-recorded discs die of old age, the tapes may out live the digital copies you make of them....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The line sounds like horizontal deflection failure. Is there a full picture when playing a tape? If so then it is camera section failure instead of the viewfinder.

I think the playback issues are probably failed electrolytic capacitors, though a dirty linear track sound/control track tape head could be the problem.
As a general rule it is bad to let an electronic device go unused for more than 3 months. Electrolytic capacitors need to have voltage across them periodically to keep them from going bad... Tape on the other hand lasts forever unless you store it under horrendous conditions. I have Umatic video tapes from the early 70's that still play just fine, and audio tapes older than the 60's that still sound as good as ever....Hell, with the way DVD-R and some pre-recorded discs die of old age, the tapes may out live the digital copies you make of them....

When I playback a tape and look through the viewfinder to watch it, the background is still black with the white vertical line in the center of the screen and, as such, no picture. The line waves slightly when the tape is moving or in pause mode and the line is non-waving when I press "Stop" on the controls. The tape content can be viewed by connecting the camera to a tv via the auxiliary ports and using a Y-R-W RCA cable. I suppose at some point I need to find a person or place to play back a tape and see what it looks like on a known, good device. That may help isolate whether it's the camera or the tape (or both), right?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I will concur with Electronic M... we used to get those in all the time just a few years old with multiple failed surface mounted electrolytics. Also the tape guides used to fall apart and require replacement. I own a TR81 that suffers all of the above.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

So far all the 90's Sony camcorders I've picked up have suffered from leaking capacitors in one way or another. Even their prosumer line of cameras are not spared from the problem. The caps just had a shorter than expected lifespan.
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone know of other Sony camcorder models that would be comparable to the TR71 in case I can find one on Ebay to replace my cam. It seems it will be too expensive to attempt repairs on this unit. And I still need to determine whether its just the cam or the tapes resulting in the playback issues. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

This one might be a good one--with fold-out color EVF--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-HANDYCA...item51cc443d36

or maybe this one..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Handyca...item19fc04861a

BOTH have fold-out color EVF'.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM
M is for Memory

Most of the camcorder tape formats also had VCRs made in their tape format which is another option....IIRC Sony was married to their 8mm format tapes after Beta camcorders became too big to sell. There were IIRC 2-3 recording standards on those tapes Standard 8mm(?), High band 8MM (AKA Hi8), and digital 8MM. Your machine should be labeled which it was made for. Most later 8MM decks and cams could also play the older formats too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4