Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Setscrew Type Mono 78 Stylus?

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I should go to get a mono 78 stylus, of the type that you insert into the cartridge and tighten down with a setscrew?

I've just about gotten the Capehart-Farnsworth P-45 changer working properly, and I'd like to get a proper needle for it (I've been testing with a steel needle from my Columbia Grafonola and I know that's just doing horrible things to my sacrificial test records).

I was thinking about buying from www.west-techservices.com. They quoted me a price of 17 dollars for a sapphire 78 mono needle. Does that seem reasonable or does someone know where I can find a better price?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

That price seems reasonable. Our shop used to sell them for about 14 bucks plus shipping. There just hasn't been that much of a demand for them. I think they were usually labeled a BMS type needle.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the help. Looking under BMS type I was able to find a page where they were described as s-shaped or bent steel needles. That led me to someone selling the same type of needle as a replacement for the Astatic N4-3S and that helped me find this:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-151_p_887.html

I just purchased a replacement for 13.95 and free shipping, so I'm pretty pleased. Just thought I'd share the details above in case anyone else comes along looking for one.