Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I fixed the 66 B&W - it just had bad electrolytic caps in the remote chassis and the power tuning motor was gunked up a bit. I've always thought it was odd that on these SC300 B&W consoles they put both channel up and down buttons on the set like the SC400s have, but they're wired together so they both just turn the channel up.
So that's why my space command 300 spins forward no matter which button is pushed. I still haven't been deep in it yet. Its just been sitting quietly with the occasional "controlled" power up. I don't think i'll ever worry about the remote unit. I don't see myself ever needing to use it. That, and it uses, like another 35watts, all the time.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

On the rear of the tuner there is a rocker switch &
channel skip doo-dads. The rocker gets gummed up
& the motor dont know to stop. Very common in the
olden days.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

So I traded away the '67 with the doors, and fixed the '66 B&W. But I still haven't done anything with the french provincial 67 and the 70. I decided to leave the 67 (with it's bad cataracts) until I found a crt for it.

I messed around with the 70 today. I could just barely make out that there was a dim picture, the crt was nearly dead. I didn't even move the needle on the B&K 465. It barely moved on the red gun when I turned it up to 8V, not on the blue or green at all. So I tried rejuvenating it. The red gun seemed to respond on the 'lo' setting, but the blue and green didn't, so I did the blue and green on the 'hi' setting. When I turned it back on I had a bright picture (just a blank raster, no sound - something must be wrong with the tuner or IFs). But only for a few minutes, then I hear some arcing in the neck of the crt, and the screen goes dark, it's gone...

Well, now I need two of these CRTs. Neither set has the original CRT, the 70 even has a later model 23V tube in there.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

So I picked up a 25XP22A/25AP22A which tests really good on all 3 guns (1st pic). A replacement tube from 1980 out of a soggy CTC17 that Dwight had. It's starting to cataract around the edges, but it's such a good tube I'm thinking that I'm going to attempt to remove the saftey glass clean out the glue and tape it back on. This tube is going in the 70 Zenith with the hybrid chassis, a set which I hope to use as a daily watcher once I get it working.

I tested the CRT in the french provincial set, and as I suspected it's bad. Only the blue gun tested ok at around 300/1000. At 6V the red and green guns didn't register at all. At 8V the red gun got up to about 100/1000 and the green gun about 50/1000. After leaving it at 8V for a few minutes, and then dropping it back to 6, the red and green guns dropped back down to 0. It is a Zenith tube, which is not as I suspected because the cataract takes the form of black dots rather than the green halo - looking more like an RCA tube than a Zenith. But as you can see in the next pic the label says it is a Zenith tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25XP22A.jpg (31.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 25AP22A.jpg (67.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Adam; 06-24-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Audiokarma