Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Got some weird kit tv????

This one was interesting. Spotted it at an estate sale on Friday (took a couple vacation days) but went back today on half-price day knowing it would still be there. And yep, it was. Got it for almost nothing

Pretty sure this set was a kit of some kind, but more accurately it looks like something used for classroom instruction on TV repair. Every control, every tube, etc is clearly labeled, even on the underside of the chassis. Picture tube is a 19GWP22. Even got a screen mask for the picture tube.

Powered up on a variac, it gets full sound, but almost no vertical sweep.....probably needs a standard recap. Lots of black cats underneath. But man this thing is built well. What it is exactly, not sure. What I'm gonna do with it, same answer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4502.jpg (63.4 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4504.jpg (49.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4505.jpg (33.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4506.jpg (49.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4507.jpg (76.6 KB, 199 views)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

very cool nice find.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like an RCA yoke housing.
Hows about a few part numbers off some diferent things & maybe
we can ID it. Looks like nothing I have ever seen.
Nice find......

73 Zeno
Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

"What am I gonna do w/it ?"... Like THAT'S ever slowed down or stopped virtually any of the membership of THIS forum...
Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Build a plexiglass cabinet for it maybe? That'll make it stand out.
Audiokarma
Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Looks like an RCA yoke housing.
Hows about a few part numbers off some diferent things & maybe
we can ID it. Looks like nothing I have ever seen.
Nice find......

73 Zeno
I can't find a part number on it ANYwhere. But here's some more pics.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4510.jpg (88.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4512.jpg (88.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4513.jpg (89.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4514.jpg (54.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4515.jpg (60.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Couple more. See how it's labeled underneath as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4516.jpg (107.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4518.jpg (113.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Mystery chassis with a RCA yoke, where have I seen that before...
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

we had a 17" ge color yc chassis i believe with a plexiglass back. and extensions on the back of the plug in modules for making trouble so we could see the trouble and figure it out. that set played all day every day and had one of the brightest and sharpest pictures i have seen on a tv set from that era. it would have been a 1977 or a 1978 model. i would have loved to have that set i am sure it has been long gone for years.

this was a 2 year vocational college course i attended. tv
& radio repair

Last edited by rcaman; 07-26-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: forgot college
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

The pincushion transformer looks an RCA design too. I'd go over the tubes used and go from there to see what's similar. I'm not saying that it's an RCA but the circuitry may be derived from "patented" RCA designs..

It does an institutional look to it for sure. Interesting piece!
Audiokarma
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Australian Young'un

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
"What am I gonna do w/it ?"... Like THAT'S ever slowed down or stopped virtually any of the membership of THIS forum...
Ain't that the truth.

The wiring underneath the chassis looks to be very clean and pristine for an older set - especially one from the tube chassis era. Most of the wiring in sets I work on it dusty, dirty and often cracked and slightly melted.

Are any of the circuits labelled on the chassis? It certainly looks like something used for training purposes, though could alternatively just be the product of a very thorough home handyman. I always label the tubes on the chassis when I work on a set, and if I were to build one from a kit, I know I'd take the time to properly label all the tubes, connectors and controls to assist in any future repairs or adjustments.

Chris
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
This one was interesting. Spotted it at an estate sale on Friday (took a couple vacation days) but went back today on half-price day knowing it would still be there. And yep, it was. Got it for almost nothing

Pretty sure this set was a kit of some kind, but more accurately it looks like something used for classroom instruction on TV repair. Every control, every tube, etc is clearly labeled, even on the underside of the chassis. Picture tube is a 19GWP22. Even got a screen mask for the picture tube.

Powered up on a variac, it gets full sound, but almost no vertical sweep.....probably needs a standard recap. Lots of black cats underneath. But man this thing is built well. What it is exactly, not sure. What I'm gonna do with it, same answer

That last picture you posted? It increased your Internet Respect Points balance by 1500. I doff my hat to anybody who actually rocks out in a workshop that has purple walls. Actually, it looks like you fed a "violet" color band from a resistor into the magic pigment-my-paint-this-color machine.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:28 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Pretty sure this set was a kit of some kind, but more accurately it looks like something used for classroom instruction on TV repair. Every control, every tube, etc is clearly labeled, even on the underside of the chassis.
This tells me that the builder of this set owned a label maker and this set was made to be easily and quickly repaired.

This set reminds me of Johnny Cash's one-piece-at-a-time car, in that the building style reminds me of an early 1950's Conrac monitor, but the parts obviously are from the late 1960's or early 1970's and hint RCA design. I cannot understand why he wired the sweep with green hookup wire and the video with red wire.

Except for Heathkit, I do not remember any other color TV kits during the probable era and this is unlike the Heaths.

With that said, the best potential clue may lie in who built the printed circuit boards.

I noticed a couple of caps that seemed to be just tacked in and not properly mounted. Could this be a testing prototype for a limited run custom production, say a military or NASA contract?

James
Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Heh

My whole basement has purple walls. I keep all of my television madness to one room. And right now, the sucker is PACKED, much beyond my comfort level.

I put that old kitchen rug on top the Zenith roundie so the cats wouldn't try to jump on it and slide off and use claws to try to gain traction, but now it's their favorite place to sleep. Oh well.

And yes, that's only one angle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4476.jpg (59.9 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I like that space age clock!
Audiokarma