Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

99% of the time one end of the filament goes to ground.
If on a PCB GND usually tied to chassis by the board being
soldered in. If a kit may use nuts, bolts & star washers or
jumper wires to main chassis. Cold joints very possible either
place & the socket pins.
If hand wired it may use twisted pair. Most the time brown or green
wires used for filament.
If miswired just follow the hot end from a near by tube, put in a
clip lead to get the 6.3VAC to the 6FG7. Use meter to be sure you are
jumping the right voltage !
There were a few sets with most filaments in series & a few
in parallel, Maggy IIRC. If so watch for fuse or fusable links.

73 Zeno
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
If miswired just follow the hot end from a near by tube, put in a
clip lead to get the 6.3VAC to the 6FG7. Use meter to be sure you are
jumping the right voltage !
This is exactly what I was thinking. Soon as I get some free bench space and a little more ambition, I'll get back on it. I gotta say that with all the radios and TVs I've been working on lately, I'm pooped out
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatoray View Post
That's cool that the kids are wanting to get involved! My interest in TV and electronics came form watching our TV repair man(who was a family friend0 work on our CTC-40 (normally a bad power switch, and a UHF tuner or two as Youngstown has no VHF stations) Next get them started on old cars
Way ahead of ya! He's helped me wrench on several 1950s cars. First job he ever did by himself was last summer....he changed the front strut assembly on a 2004 Cavalier for a lady that needed help. All I did was tell him what to undo and explain how to do it, and he did! I just sat in a chair and watched

He makes me proud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0410131801a.jpg (70.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 0821131618.jpg (63.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Way ahead of ya! He's helped me wrench on several 1950s cars. First job he ever did by himself was last summer....he changed the front strut assembly on a 2004 Cavalier for a lady that needed help. All I did was tell him what to undo and explain how to do it, and he did! I just sat in a chair and watched

He makes me proud
I guess he takes after his mom, with hair and all....

I started out the same way with my Dad, 'cept I was the "Parts Sorter" - I knew my resistor color code before I even heard of a multiplication table.

Cars took me a lot longer to learn - had to blow an engine before I really got into them..

Back to the thread - there is a 1966 Conar Catalog online, but has only a B/W set. National Technical School was another school that had a kit TV, but they are sparse with details in the ads in magazines. CIE and CREI didn't offer any TV courses, and Bell and Howell offered up a tube B/W set, and later, a Heathkit solid state 23 or 25" set. Can't find any Arkay kit info.

FYI, most 1960's electronics magazines are on the web, and the entire Popular Mechanics/Popular Science library is on Google Books in "full" view.

www.americanradiohistory.com has most of the 60s Electronics Magazines online, save for PF Reporter and Electronic Servicing. Those "Radio Electronics" magazines have Jack Darr's TV repair columns, and lots of ads for schools, kits, parts and more!

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 08-29-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: 1966, not 1968...
Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I suspect this was a correspondence radio and TV repair school kit myself. Likely a NRI Conar, Bell & Howell, or similar which used an RCA or heavily RCA influenced chassis. Interesting set, would be neat to see it play again.
Audiokarma
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

OH MY GOD !!!

THANK YOU for posting that site--I NEVER knew there was one wiht R_E and EW available to read on-line !! I LOVE Radio electronics--it was--and is--my all-time favorite electronics magazine !!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I LOVE Radio electronics--it was--and is--my all-time favorite electronics magazine !!
Same here - I've spent weeks on that website reliving my youth. My dad had a subscription from the 60's to the mid 70's, then my brother had a subscription, and then I had a subscription until it merged with Poptronix/Hands On Electronics. Electronics Illustrated, Elementary Electronics and Popular Electronics were newsstand buys for my dad - the Navy Exchange had them for a quarter back then.

Radio Electronics had the sexist tag line "For men with ideas in Electronics"
Popular Electronics had a female sailor (WAVE) on it's cover.
Electronics Illustrated had a bikini clad girl (ala Laugh-In) on it's cover in the late 60's.
Elementary Electronics had an article "the birds and bees of connectors" - all about male and female connector types.
Popular Electronics could be counted on for their April Fools column. (contrapolar energy - plug in the soldering iron and it freezes over....)

Ah, my youth....

Cheers,

Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Convergence freak!

Man i can't wait til my kids grow up and want to do these things I do. My 2 year old boy is already finding my dvm and turning the knobs. Lol
Tech is a big thing now with almost everything we have or do involves technology of some sorts, our children are growing up using computers and tables on an almost daily basis. My 5 year old daughter uses a Kindle fire in her classroom as a go along e reader.. very impressive when she can sit down, get on the Internet and go to a game website or go to youtube and click on one of her favorite cartoons.
It seems like just yesterday she was standing up using the tuner knob to hold herself up and pulled the power knob to turn on my old CTC-17.
Our kids need to learn this stuff. Soldering and board troubleshooting and repair. I'm teaching them all I can.

Last edited by freakaftr8; 09-02-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Convergence freak!

On the filament not lighting up, I have a magnavox combo unit that has a flaky vertical oscillator to e socket. Every once In a while I lose vertical deflection. I used deoxit and resoldered all pins on the socket. Problem solved. Check grounds!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Last night I showed Nick how to do the filter cans from underneath on the 1948 twin chassis Admiral 10" console he's restoring. He got a few of them done before I ran out of caps

He's got all of the bypass caps done. Doing a damn good job too. His plan is to have the set done over next weekend so he can do another. We'll see what happens. I am DEFINITELY making a youtube video of this one
Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great that you are getting the kids involved good job.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Last night I showed Nick how to do the filter cans from underneath on the 1948 twin chassis Admiral 10" console he's restoring. He got a few of them done before I ran out of caps

He's got all of the bypass caps done. Doing a damn good job too. His plan is to have the set done over next weekend so he can do another. We'll see what happens. I am DEFINITELY making a youtube video of this one
This sort of stuff at a young age can get you into Stanford. (Used
to be Harvard, but as New York Times comments, that's passe.)
It eventually got me there (Hahvahd, the r's had gone to Cuber).
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I would recommend removing all this talk and photos () of children performing dangerous tasks. I'm not saying that I will alert the authorities, but someone just lurking and reading threads might.

Children should be shielded from such danger. At a minimum the child in the photos should be wearing a helmet, safety glasses, knee pads, shin guards, etc. I once had a drip of solder splash on a bare shin, and it hurt very badly. Better that children should watch instructional internet videos and not allowed to to use actual tools until well into their college years. Encouraging an interest in eco-unfriendly hobbies should be discouraged. It's horrifying to see such a young person turning wrenches (yeach!) on a non-hybrid, fossil fuel car. Hopefully there will be therapy.

Instead I would steer a child towards an interest in more useful careers, such as a deep knowledge of dinosaurs or methods of urban-farming hemp to produce sustainable cloth for processing in economically depressed regions.

As you can see, these children wear helmets. I highly doubt their eco-activities include using lead-based solder, or changing struts on a privately-owned fossil-fuel car.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Followin' the Rules...

The pincushion transformer pictured has a Warwick Electronics part number. With the "80-" prefix, it identifies it as a transformer. It would be interesting to see the part number on the Vertical output transformer and the audio output transformer - the transformer complement would lead to a Sears/Warwick chassis schematic (528.XXXXX chassis). Thordarson has a neat matrix that shows transformer part numbers vs. chassis. Could be useful.

It's not a ATR, Conar, or Heathkit, so maybe NTS, Devry?? Even Andrea, with their chassis that could be slipped into a custom cabinet, didn't use Warwick parts.

One thing is for sure - that is one puzzling TV chassis.

Cheers,

Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Same here - I've spent weeks on that website reliving my youth. . . . . . .

Popular Electronics could be counted on for their April Fools column. (contrapolar energy - plug in the soldering iron and it freezes over....)
Hee hee! The best impossible Pop Tronics April Fool's project was the one that we see very often today!

The solar powered nightlight!

Back then, economical rechargeable dry batteries and LED Lights had not been invented.

I had earlier done a solar cell project and remember looking at the schematic for about two seconds and thought "No way is that little solar cell going to provide enough amperage for that light bulb --." Then it dawned on me if there was enough light for the solar cell, one would not need the night light.

James
Audiokarma