Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I would recommend removing all this talk and photos () of children performing dangerous tasks. I'm not saying that I will alert the authorities, but someone just lurking and reading threads might.

Children should be shielded from such danger. At a minimum the child in the photos should be wearing a helmet, safety glasses, knee pads, shin guards, etc. I once had a drip of solder splash on a bare shin, and it hurt very badly. Better that children should watch instructional internet videos and not allowed to to use actual tools until well into their college years. Encouraging an interest in eco-unfriendly hobbies should be discouraged. It's horrifying to see such a young person turning wrenches (yeach!) on a non-hybrid, fossil fuel car. Hopefully there will be therapy.

Instead I would steer a child towards an interest in more useful careers, such as a deep knowledge of dinosaurs or methods of urban-farming hemp to produce sustainable cloth for processing in economically depressed regions.

As you can see, these children wear helmets. I highly doubt their eco-activities include using lead-based solder, or changing struts on a privately-owned fossil-fuel car.

I SINCERELY hope--and PRAY--you were being "funny" in your post. Because..that is EXACTLY the attitude some people had towards me when I was about 13 or so." .Put it on the shelf...pick it up later on..You are too young to do this stuff. You don't know ANYTHING !! " And so on. And FORCING me to get rid of nearly ALL of the few things I had collected up to that point--including an Admiral M20--a set I have NEVER been able to find since , so was an Arvin 21-553 set--another set very difficult to fond today. !!

Such "support"--from people I THOUGHT cared about me...made it a LOT more difficult for me to enhance my knowledge. Had things been different--and a few of the people who COULD have helped me--actually DID so...who KNOWS how things might have gone for me !! I likely would have had a few things on the market by now and a few books published.

I APPLAUD the one who is teaching his children how to work on this stuff !! It WILL help them and get them a lot more interested in technical things....

If...and it is a big IF..my health recovers and things change in a major way for me financially...I DO want to help young people who have a technical desire--to not "slip through the cracks" ...As I did so many times...due to so many short-sighted people...

Last edited by rca2000; 09-02-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyfilm View Post
Hee hee! The best impossible Pop Tronics April Fool's project was the one that we see very often today!

The solar powered nightlight!

Back then, economical rechargeable dry batteries and LED Lights had not been invented.

I had earlier done a solar cell project and remember looking at the schematic for about two seconds and thought "No way is that little solar cell going to provide enough amperage for that light bulb --." Then it dawned on me if there was enough light for the solar cell, one would not need the night light.

James
I have now downloaded a WHOLE lot of RE , EW and a few other magazines from the site. I DO wish the years were complete--but some are not. But still--this way--it will be VERY easy to "take them along" with me--on a flash drive and have hundreds of issues to look through !!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM
M is for Memory

I liked the self powered "Atomic Transistor" April fools article. I've got a number of original paper copies of those publications...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

"A deep knowledge of dinosaurs'...yeah THAT is a great career to pursue...just like ALL of the liberal arts shit--that ends up being USELESS_-in the real world !!

And BTW_-those kids in that pix look like they are either stoned--or heading to detention !!

A solder splash will not hurt long--and it is part of this hobby-and career--that one has to learn to accept. Just as bruised knuckles are part of car repair...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:35 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
"A deep knowledge of dinosaurs'...yeah THAT is a great career to pursue...just like ALL of the liberal arts shit--that ends up being USELESS_-in the real world !!

And BTW_-those kids in that pix look like they are either stoned--or heading to detention !!

A solder splash will not hurt long--and it is part of this hobby-and career--that one has to learn to accept. Just as bruised knuckles are part of car repair...
You are correct. I was using sarcasm to illustrate modern absurdity. I actually applaud people who teach their kids a skill vs. expanding their knowledge of dinosaurs and other useless crap.
Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Convergence freak!

I knew you had to be joking Carmine. lol good one. I feel a responsibility as a parent to teach my kids everything I know. Even if it's a little of everything, at least when I go I know I served my purpose as a parent.

I just got done fixing my father in laws Vizio 47" flatscreen again.. Bad fuse on the mainboard from it not used to "getting a break" for three years straight running, except today when it was unplugged due to reflooring the house, plugged back in and after a few minutes of me reconnecting the cable tv for him the tv went dead. Vizio's are crap, long story short my daughter watched me do it the whole time and was interested the whole time. She even helped screw back on the back panel.

Kamikari, did you look into that frankenset any further?

Last edited by freakaftr8; 09-03-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
You are correct. I was using sarcasm to illustrate modern absurdity. I actually applaud people who teach their kids a skill vs. expanding their knowledge of dinosaurs and other useless crap.
Thank GOD ! You had me going but I didnt think a moon bat would
be in this crowd. But dont get me wrong. We do have our share of
characters but characters are cool.
I agree with the kids, teach them everything & dont worry about a
little risk.
Where I came from we had one of the top schools in Mass. I got
both my sons out fast & into trade school.
#1 son came out with a useful trade & also scored very high
on SAT WITHOUT prep, enuff to apply to MIT but we couldnt put together the $$$.
He did RCA CTC175 etal summers to go to collage. Degrees in
math & meteorology. Then USAF to Capt. Back to collage for his
masters, got it with some latin name.........
Same thing #2 son but only 1 yr of collage, bad experience.
Teacher from GB had open discussion in history class abt the
death penalty. He called us barbarians ! Son politely asked why he
was in a barbaric country. "Couldnt get a job ? the MONEY, or
something else ????". Instant F for the semester.
Dropped out, took an assy job & a year later production manager.
At lowest part of economy some Chinamen started coming around.
Put in apps & had 3 companies bidding for him. Now makes 3 times
what I ever did. It took 4 yrs............
Enuf of that, teach them everything give them lots of your time
& you will be rewarded in the best ways.

73 Zeno

BTW not many make $$ on dinosaurs but they are cool & kids love them !
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Instead I would steer a child towards an interest in more useful careers, such as a deep knowledge of dinosaurs or methods of urban-farming hemp to produce sustainable cloth for processing in economically depressed regions.
haw

That was great!

Reminds me of that commercial for that government website inventnow.org. The announcer says something like EXPLORE AND CREATE YOUR OWN INVENTION, and then in a hushed voice says "or you can just play some games"

Well played, you managed to steer in the Chris Griffins of the world too!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Instead I would steer a child towards an interest in more useful careers, such as a deep knowledge of dinosaurs
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...iGuZOA3ZLJ8Sry
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Well, for sure you need 6.3 volts on the heater pins of the 6GF7 (Pins 4&5) perhaps a wire is poorly soldered or missing, or the tube socket pin is broken/corroded. I would get some juice to the tube heater and see what happens.

jr
Pin 4 seems to be the common heater voltage, it jumps between tubes. Continuity is good. Pin 5 goes to a disc cap, then to ground......

I could try replacing that disc cap I suppose.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
I can't (don't) watch any videos on my low-tech/speed interwebs service. But I did click, and I see the idea is that toy companies get the "facts" surrounding dinosaurs incorrect.

At the risk of straying further off topic, which I admit I may have caused, I hope I didn't touch any raw nerves by making fun of the American (perhaps worldwide?) obsession with dinosaurs. It simply irritates me because "dino-knowledge"; while utterly useless for 98% of the public, has become a go-to, safe subject replacing mechanical interests for children so predisposed.

As a child, I grew up with immigrant, depression-era adults who were intelligent, but had no clue what was popular for children in the mid 80s. That seems to be about the era when this push for the natural-world vs. man-made world began. Rather than using primitive spell-checks or speak & spells, I was forced to look up any word I misspelled in this old-timey thing called a "dictionary". Said dictionary was embossed with my grandmother's name as 1938 Detroit Spelling Bee champion, so you might imagine that poor spelling and grammar were not tolerated. I learned multiplication tables from flash cards. The only worthwhile public education I received came from my oldest teachers, the rest came at home.

Non-academic subjects were the domain of my grandfather. We didn't study dinosaurs. We fixed cars, lawn mowers, bikes, television sets & radios. We poured cement, finished basements, installed toilets, added electrical outlets, etc. I knew how to use a magnesium float before my friends could ride a bike. I learned all of this during the time my friends raised by hippie parents were watching MTV, listening to rock & roll, learning about dinosaurs and overall becoming good consumers of crap imported by the cargo-ship load.

As such, I find myself rather out-of-step with people of my generation. My sarcasm isn't always understood. When I see a kid who can do something useful at a young age, I tend to be shocked... but in a good way. It gives me a shot of hope for the future.

Last edited by Carmine; 09-03-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Pin 4 seems to be the common heater voltage, it jumps between tubes. Continuity is good. Pin 5 goes to a disc cap, then to ground......

I could try replacing that disc cap I suppose.
Dosnt make sense. assuming 4 is "hot" 5 should go right to GND.
Check ohms should be 0 at pin 5 to GND.
May be a miswire here. If not sounds like the SKT.

73 Zeno
Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Dosnt make sense. assuming 4 is "hot" 5 should go right to GND.
Check ohms should be 0 at pin 5 to GND.
May be a miswire here. If not sounds like the SKT.

73 Zeno
Gotta concur totally. That's assuming the heaters are parallel-wired and one side of the heater supply is grounded. If pin 4 is hot, then pin 5 has gotta go to ground.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:04 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I will go with the correspondence school theory. And on the 6GF7 filament issue, I would check for a miswire before anything else. Great find, as I'm sure most of those sets were junked after completing the class (or giving up )

Charles
Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM
M is for Memory

Sadly Carmine, there are a lot of parents with that mentality (heck my dads folks would not let him try to repair a radio as a kid because it 'could be dangerous'), and those that raise their kids like that are what is filling our world with "middle men and phone washers" rather than "thinkers and doers" (hitchiker's guide to the galaxy quotes)...

If not for taking on this hobby at an early age I'm sure I would not be an electrical engineering major (well on his way to graduation)...It's scary to think about how I'd have likely turned out without my hobbies.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma