Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2004, 03:28 AM
heathkit tv

Roundie cataracts

Sorry if this has been already beaten to death, but am curious about the procedure to fix cataracts.

My RCA CT-16 has a bad case of cataracts, and while I still haven't gotten around to checking out this set or picture tube am wondering if it's possible to repair the cataracts short of sending the tube out for rebuilding.

Wasn't there mention of someone doing this themselves? Something about using a heat gun or hair dryer? Once you have the safety delaminated how do you clean the surfaces? What do you re-glue them with? How are the optics when done?

As cheap as I am, I want the finished product to be right....I'd hate to spend all that effort only to end up with an amateurish result. Of course all of this assumes the tube is good, which I don't know at the moment....but that doesn't take away from the question as I'm sure this is useful info for all. Perhaps we need a FAQ for the forums? Thanks!

Anthony