Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
AlienToAllThingsAudio

Bakelite Crosley Multiband Restore

I paid too much for an old brown bakelite Crosley multi-band radio today at the trift, but man it was in great shape. All the knobs present, no cracks in the case, the back intact all tubes present, dial cover in good shape, tuner working... It has a large dial face, says "America" on top and "Overseas" on the bottom register.

I got it home and removed the chassis. I haven't plugged it in, and don't intend to without some good advice. I think the thrift guys might have plugged it in, so possibly the damage is done...

I have two questions. First, what is the recommended way to restore the finish on bakelite cases? My first thought was Armor All, but possibly wax? I've removed several years of cigar smoke.

ALso, I counted and including one large multi-value cap, there are about 10 caps that are candidates for replacing. Should I replace all the paper caps as a matter of course, or will that hurt the collector value? I guess I just need an education about restoring old radios as this is my first. I don't think its that valuable, but It's coool I'll post some pics later tonight.

Appreciate advice on where to go from here.