Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
VK Member

Recapped the Admiral! - Still having issues...

Awhile back, I had talked about my Zenith television and it became clear to me at that time that I should start by learning to work on my radio's first. So, I did finally work up the nerve and read up on it and bought the capacitors I needed to do the Admiral and my Zenith H724. The Zenith came out fine, louder and seems to pick up stations better now that I've added an external antenna. The old Admiral, however, remains problematic.

All of the wax paper capacitors and the electrolytic capacitors in my great-grandmother's 1942 Admiral 4215-C7 are new and installed according to the factory schematic. Trouble is, I had to swap out the rectifier tube with another 6X5 out of a derelict chassis I had sitting around to get it to work. This rectifier tube worked fine for awhile until today when I let the set warm up, the tube suddenly got bright and went out, arching and whatnot. I'm not quite sure if it's simply that the tube was already going bad, or if something inside my chassis is wrong and caused a short. The electrolytic caps associated with this tube are both 20uF and I know that I could have safely went with 40's. It did have a slight buzz when you turned the volume up, but it was a louder buzz when switched to phono. While the set did run, and I allowed it to warm up and run for periods no longer than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, and I did notice that the rectifier tube and the output were both rather hot. Up to this point I was almost able to pick up radios signals, but I had to squeeze wires to the antenna loop with my fingers to actually hear anything, even with the volume all the way up.

I had a replacement audio tube ( 6SQ7 ) on the way because one of the two seemed to glow very weakly, but now that doesn't matter since my rectifier went out... =( Any ideas?

Just to give you a general idea of what I'm dealing with, my Admiral's tube compliment includes a 6X5GT as the rectifier, a 7A7 as the IF amp, 6SA7 1st Det. Osc, 6SQ7 2nd det. osc, another 6SQ7 1st audio, a 6J5GT as the 2nd audio, and then a 6K6GT as the output tube.