Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
WRT coin-operated utility meters: I remember my father talking about his mother putting coins in the gas meter when he was small. This was in Texas, around 1910-1915 or so.
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Beachboy Beachboy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast Kansas
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I went to Spain on vacation, the rented apartment had a TV with a meter on the side: You had to put a 1 euro coin in to make it work for 2 hours. I didn't bother with it... Been in many rented apartments & hotels in Tenerife, England, America & Malta but never been charged for the TV..
I remember staying in a Motel 6 as a kid, when the chain first opened. That was when the room rate really WAS $6 a night! You got what you paid for, including a nondescript B/W 18" TV on rabbit ears, connected to a coin box. I think you had to put a quarter in to watch a few hours of TV. Dad declined to make the investment! LOL
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-18-2015, 09:40 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
I remember staying in a Motel 6 as a kid, when the chain first opened. That was when the room rate really WAS $6 a night! You got what you paid for, including a nondescript B/W 18" TV on rabbit ears, connected to a coin box. I think you had to put a quarter in to watch a few hours of TV. Dad declined to make the investment! LOL
But they did leave the light on for you! Some rooms, they rent by the hour.
Real common with the radios of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Then there was "$8 Days Inn". Now just "Days Inn".
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Colly0410 Colly0410 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hucknall, Nottingham, England.
Posts: 257
Been thinking. (yes I know it'll wear my brain out, & stop laughing those of you thinking "what brain?") Most American homes have some kind of air conditioning so a forced air heating system could be combined with it so saving money on a hot water radiator system. I've never been in a British home with air conditioning as it's very rare that it's too warm, you might get 5 or 6 hot days a year where A/C would be useful. On those rare hot days we just throw open all the windows & put electric fans on & whinge & moan at how hot it is, we are usually moaning at how cold it is. I have got 2 portable fans & 1 incorporated with the ceiling light in the main bedroom. Most big stores & shopping centre's have A/C though. My car (Hyundai i10) has A/C fitted as standard, I need it when it's been parked in full sun...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #96  
Old 09-27-2026, 10:15 AM
Colly0410 Colly0410 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hucknall, Nottingham, England.
Posts: 257
Me saying we have very few days of hot weather here in England. Well we've had 5 heatwaves this last summer with temps getting up in 90's for days & days on end, & the tropical humid nights were brutal. I'd sleep (or try to sleep) with an electric fan blowing on me all night, I so wished I had AC. Oh & how we moaned & complained about the heat, but an American on the news said "this heat is so much worse than we get back home, I can't believe how brutal it is " so maybe we're not such a bunch of wuss's after all, lol. It's 64 now so not too hot. i'm going to a Northern Soul night later so should be OK for dancing, went last month & the AC had conked out & boy was it hot...
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.