Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2026, 09:49 PM
liammc00's Avatar
liammc00 liammc00 is offline
real TVs have a CRT
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Belpre, Ohio
Posts: 261
Montgomery Ward console TV (GNB179 28A)

Well today I picked up a Montgomery Ward console TV. The TV is in okay condition I would say 7 out of 10 and I found it a thrift store which is rare nowadays were I live. The TV does power on and first off the picture is dim and if you crank the picture control up all the way the picture does smear. It's probably a weak tube as the set does have a lot of dust inside. I don't have a CRT tester yet but I did buy one. I'm waiting for the postman to deliver it. The tester is a B&K 467 it came with a bunch of sockets hopefully it has CR 23. I'm manly working on the TV for practice as need it and if I can make it useable that would be great.

Here are things I currently know that's wrong with the TV first of the Degaussing doesn't seem to work as outer edges of picture has purity problems. The next thing is the tuner doesn't work right it will receive a single but the picture is all screwed up. I will include video just be warned it's flickery. The TV works fine threw the A/V inputs. The tube is getting better the longer I have used it.
Chassis 26C615
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2026, 10:05 PM
liammc00's Avatar
liammc00 liammc00 is offline
real TVs have a CRT
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Belpre, Ohio
Posts: 261
I hooked up SNES to AV input and after adjusting the screen and focus I was able to get a pretty good picture. Nothing like when it was new but a perfectly usable picture. On the Degaussing I think I found the problem as the thermistor is very lose I expect bad solder joints and while I have the TV apart I'm going to change any capacitors that are bad especially the ones were heat source are. If I'm having problems with the tuner I expect they would be on the tuner module . Here is video https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...cv5ecr0ODXEvBy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
liammc00's Avatar
liammc00 liammc00 is offline
real TVs have a CRT
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Belpre, Ohio
Posts: 261
Well things keep going badly with this set. I went to turn the set on today but the only thing that happened was the power relay clicked but no HV. the cause was bad solder joints i think as yesterday it worked fine but after i turned the set off i messed with the thermistor and apparently i bumped the power resistor right next to it. i took the chassis out and found and fixed the solder joints and found that a lot of big value capacitors had failed like 1000uf 35V tested at 299uf but had 0.00 ESR that was true for most of big caps on the main board. After that checked my work and then i put the chassis back into the set. than i spent a very long time getting everything plugged back in making sure they went where they supposed. I went to test the set and now its completely dead. No fuses are blown and I'm getting power from stand by supply which matches what the schmatics says.

Last edited by liammc00; Today at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.