Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Here's a BIG Airline!

Thought I'd share my newest aquisition. It's a huge circa 1938 tabletop radio by (Montgomery-Ward) Airline model 62-228. It's 22" long, 15" high, and weighs over 40 lbs. The dial is over 8" in diameter and has two smaller function dials inside it. It has 3 bands, a "second hand" two speed dial, magic eye tuning indicator plus 8 tubes, and even a chrome chassis! The set sounds awesome with rich tone, and it's very sensitive. I can't find a whole lot of imformation on it.

Last edited by decojoe67; 01-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Dah-Yum ! I'd scarf that Bad Boi up in a heartbeat, if I'd run acrost it !
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Dah-Yum ! I'd scarf that Bad Boi up in a heartbeat, if I'd run acrost it !
Thanks. I hesitated to buy it because of it's huge size, but that dial hooked me and I just had to get it. It sure commands your attention in wherever you place it and it's sounds like a higher-end '30's console - it practically is one!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
marty59's Avatar
marty59 marty59 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 915
That radio is a looker! I would have found a spot for it here if I had come across that. Yes, there's info on your radio. It is covered in Riders Volume 8 and you can have access to a schematic courtesy of Nostalgia Air.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
That radio is a looker! I would have found a spot for it here if I had come across that. Yes, there's info on your radio. It is covered in Riders Volume 8 and you can have access to a schematic courtesy of Nostalgia Air.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org
Thank you very much for the link
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
I'm a sucker for radios like this; it really has a lot going for it. Post a pic of the chassis if you get a chance.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
That radio is a looker! I would have found a spot for it here if I had come across that. Yes, there's info on your radio. It is covered in Riders Volume 8 and you can have access to a schematic courtesy of Nostalgia Air.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org
Another of those great Wells-Gardner sourced sets.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Thank you. I too am a sucker for impressive '30's radio dials. I never had one this big in my collection. When it's on I stare at it more than I do my TV screen! I'll try to get a pic of the chassis as soon as I can. I have to build-up the strength to take it off the shelf again!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I'm THINKIN'-And you must remember I had a Stroke, so sometimes I "Remember" things that Ain't So-but I THINK I remember there was an Italian Boatanchor, that had a "Rainbow" dial similar to this...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Thank you. I too am a sucker for impressive '30's radio dials. I never had one this big in my collection. When it's on I stare at it more than I do my TV screen! I'll try to get a pic of the chassis as soon as I can. I have to build-up the strength to take it off the shelf again!
I think this chassis and dial was also intended for a console model.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I think this chassis and dial was also intended for a console model.
It seems that way, but if you look through pages of Airline consoles in Steins console guide you will not see this particular dial on any set! The typical Airline console dials around '38 were tele-dials and movie-dials. I'd love to learn the whole story on this unique set.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Here's the dial lit-up. It has a soft back-lit glow that was hard to capture in a pic.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
It seems that way, but if you look through pages of Airline consoles in Steins console guide you will not see this particular dial on any set! The typical Airline console dials around '38 were tele-dials and movie-dials. I'd love to learn the whole story on this unique set.
I have that same model. I think the Riders pages show 1936.
Those telephone dials don't impress me, even though I have a few.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have that same model. I think the Riders pages show 1936.
Those telephone dials don't impress me, even though I have a few.
Thanks. In my mind I dated this set as a '36, but when I saw it listed as a '38 on the few examples shown on the net I figured I was wrong. '36 seems right. I too am not a fan of the teledials on any brand of radios, but they were put on some sharp looking models.
If you could post a picture of your set I'd love to see it!
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
This reminds me a of the Detrola built sets, though I'm not sure if they did any for Wards. I have a Truetone they built with some of the same details (but not nearly this flashy).
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.