![]() |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Did I melt a resistor???
Working on my 1960 Magnavox set.
I finished installing the electrolytics, and had to wire in a resistor between two of them. When I heated the wires with the soldering iron, the resistor started bubbling a little on the outside. Did I do any damage to it internally? I was only at 15 watts. Thanks for any help! Magnavox300 |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
I bet you're OK . Those carbon resistors are pretty tough. Just be careful with transistors, diodes/rectifiers when soldering.
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Thanks Dave!!!!
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Soldering
Sometimes a low wattage iron can take additional time to heat the joint and that lower heat coupled with the added time can cook parts. In such a case it is better to use a slightly hotter iron to get in and out quickly so the heat has less time to "travel". Just food for thought.
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
I can be a worry wart sometimes and test heated looking stuff or things that I may have damaged. Only takes two seconds to hookup an ohm meeter to a resistor and make sure....
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
How about an aligator clip on the lead to draw some of the heat?
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Maybe there was some stuff on the outside of the resistor? Waxy buildup?
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
You would of melted the wires before that resistor. I agree with Einar, probably some kind of wax or something similar. I've seen stuff like that before. Not an issue.
__________________
"It's a mad mad mad mad world" !! http://www.youtube.com/user/mwstaton64?feature=mhee |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
I have seen many 1 watt or larger carbon resistors in circuit and working fine with bubbling evidence which I would think is a normal part of their heat dissipation process. Some of what I have seen could have been in a circuit where a capacitor had at some point shorted or leaky and the problem was fixed before the resistors were damaged. I think they are pretty much OK up to the point of smoking out.
|
![]() |
|
|