Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 2,123
Cool Some early Soviet tv sets

Here is a page with a lot of Soviet tv sets. You can see some early models, includig early experimental colour sets!!!
Note that some of the early sest are put at Комбинированные ч/б телеустановки (Black and white tv consoles with radio).
Like "Leningrad" T2 (which was in fact and East-German tv set), which was used for experimental tv brodacasting in Romania in 1955 and 1956?
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/leningrad_t2.html
You can also find it on a Czech site: http://www.oldradio.cz/tvpa.htm
http://www.oldradio.cz/leningra.htm
(b.t.w., Czechoslovakian "Tesla" 4002A where also used for experimental tv brodacasting)
Here is a recent clip with one of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGHOhyxG3Q
Beeing assambled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDsZeNClx1U
One at the Lepzig Fair in 1950: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gks3_xRvlAE

"Temp" 2 (dind't knwo until today that "temp" means "air" in Russian)
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/temp2.html
http://www.oldradio.cz/temp2.htm
and "Rekord"
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/rekord_abtw.html
http://www.oldradio.cz/rekord.htm
where the 1sts tv sest to be saled in Romania. They are very hard to find today. I think in totally there where no more than 10.000-14.000 "Temp" 2 and "Rekord" tv sets imported. I gave to somebody a "Temp" 2 and a "Rekord", but I don't find any longer the channel carousel for the "Temp" 2 and at "Rekord" the electronic gun haves low emision Huh, I wish me one of this earyl models in working condition. "Temp" 2 was the only black and white (b & w) roundie saled in Romania.

Don't know how in Romania ended up some K.V.N.-49
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/kwn49.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_VgyiCqAk
A tv set like this can be found at Muzeul Ştiinţei şi Tehnicii "Ştefan Procopiu" ("Ştefan (Steven/Stephen) Procopiu" Museum of Science and Technics) form Iaşi (Jassy) and one in a private colection (it haves problem with the deflexion). I think some one smashed a set like this

But strictly from the way of the look, my early Soviet favorite is the Avangard-55:
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/awangard55.html
I'm imagining mysfel (hope this is correctly in English) in the '50's with somebody watching a movie on a set like this.
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM
TV-collector's Avatar
TV-collector TV-collector is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Düsseldorf / Germany
Posts: 276
Thanks for posting these fine links!
I have some of these sets, T-2 Leningrad, KVN-49, Tesla (all from 1953 up
to ~1961, and the russian records and some later Temp.

The T-2 Leningrad is not an East-German TV, it is a russian construction.
This variy tale is now well around the world.
The production start was in 1949, I have eastern sources and a russian
shop manual covering all russian sets from 1946 up.
After these sets were getting out "style" the russians gave the machinery
to East Germany to build them on, just because there was a bill open because
of WW II.
The East Germans build them in 1952/53.
The hole construction was too expensive and not reliable (just the cabin)
The radio was also with this chassis!!!!! as a table set available, but only
in Russia.
The first serial-produced polish TV (Wisla-will add a picture on request) was
produced in Poland in 1957.
The same set in Russia was sold under another name in 1955! The construction
was a lemmon in relation to western TVs of this time.
The KVN-49, invented in 1948 (a RCA-copy) was a million seller, the Volkswagen or Volksempfänger for the public.
They were sold up to 1962 with the little screen. Later versions were available with a 30cm tube.
Just the russian rectangular tubes are lousy, so bad emissions on Rekord & Co. is standard.
Best regards,

TV-Collector

Last edited by TV-collector; 05-09-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Once again you have made my day with wonderful TV pix!
Thanks, my Czech ancestors would be amused as well.
I will buy a case of Chechvar tonight
Na zdravi and Noroc to you Telecor
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
The KVN-49 is a great looking set in my opinion. It has been on my want list for some time. I have tried to make arrangements to purchase one and have it shipped to the US but haven't been able to make it happen as of yet. From my limited google translated research of the set I've read that here isn't a single paper cap in the set! Some day I hope to have one sitting next to it's "Father", the 621ts, in my collection. Until then I'd love to see pictures and hear about them from other owners.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Josef's Avatar
Josef Josef is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 134
That might be true. I also could not see any paper capacitors on the backside of the chassis:

http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/kwn49_29.jpg

Has anybody seen or restored such a set in person? I remember one russian set offered at ebay a few years ago that looked like a piece of junk but still had high voltage

Greetings Josef
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 2,123
The K.V.N. (not K.W.N.)-49 was a set with old conception. That's why the guy who owns it haves trouble repairing the defelexion coil. He sayes that he wants to put an coil from an "Rubin" 102 tv set. I think that K.V.N.-49 is more likely inspiered by a German tv set.
"Temp" 2 was a very hard to repiar set, big, with high compustion (240 Watts on tv, 160 Watts on F.M. (U.S.W.) radio). In contrast, "Rekord" was smaller, lighter (23 k.gs. - the version witout the power transformer, 27 k.gs. - the version with power transformer) and easy to be reapired; and it consume less electricity - recatngular & smaller picture tube.
The 1st trully hit of the Soviet tv sets was the "Rubin" 102 from 1957. It was a more modern set. My maternal grandfather owned one, but he get it on the country side, I tried to get it back but I couldn't
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/rubin102.html
Some one from Romania haves one in working condition: http://www.proradioantic.ro/index.php?x=item&id_p=224
There where bigger version of it, with loudspeakers that could reproduce a greater audio frequency range (50-15,000 Hz in stead of 80-8,000 Hz)
the 201 & 202: http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/rubin201.html

One of the good thing at Soviet tv sets was that most of them had power transformer. So:
1) You dind't risked to get electrocuted on the chassie;
2) The set was less sensitive on voltage or frequency variations - that stuff was a big problem in Romania untill recently (and sometimes still are problmes with that) *;
3) If one electronic tube (valve) went down, the rest would still work.
My small "Rekord" was the version without power transformer... and I got electrocuted once (my mistake). But it had the tubes mounted in paralel, like at the sets with power transforner

* today I thougt of that problems and guess what: accidently my paternal grandmother turned theryr set on T.C.M. where was a movie called "Where were you when the light turned out?" with Doris Day.

TV-collector: are you the guy with the Czech website?

I found on the street some old photographic films. Most of the images are taken around 1961-1964 (and, gush, I can see some houses demolished in the '60's and in the '80's). On one image was this family pic where a "Temp" 2 tv set appeares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan_005_resize.jpg (68.1 KB, 28 views)
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Is there a channel selector on this set? Thinking in the mode when I was told about evil godless communism, and "better dead than red" when I was growing up in the 60's, there might not be more than one channel to watch anyway...
http://rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/kwn49.html

RW6ASE looks like a ham amateur radio license callsign from Russia, similar to my American license WA2ISE.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I would imagine vintage Soviet TVs could likely be in better shape than their American counterparts, since they were built more to "Mil-Spec" than ours were. The level of the components was likely better quality.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.