Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
Magnavox Stereo Theatre 300, completed!

Once again, thanks to everyone at VideoKarma for all the expert advise!
I Could never have completed this without the forum!
I bought this set on Ebay for $24.00. My first.
Replaced all the caps, did tons of cleaning,
and now I just need a EV26 cartridge and needle for the phonograph.
I had to refinish some of the wood, but most of the cabinet cleaned up nicely.
I also had to make a deflection yoke cover, (I think that's what it's called,) since the old one was falling apart.
The picture is perfect, and to me seems a bit more lifelike than the newer sets!

Can't wait to start the 1959 Admiral-
Thanks to all!

Magnavox300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7899.JPG (119.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9362.JPG (124.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9114.JPG (140.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9373.JPG (71.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9353.JPG (64.1 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
I also found this original add from 1960-cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9404.jpg (101.4 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
I like your chassis better than the one I have. No 5U4 rectifier on mine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
zarek's Avatar
zarek zarek is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Very nice set, superb work Pat
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarek View Post
Very nice set, superb work Pat
Thanks Pat!

Magnavox300
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Glenz75's Avatar
Glenz75 Glenz75 is offline
NZ Vintage TV Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 311
WOW! That is one neat looking set and a great job done too. Congrats! Cheers Glen
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
Very nice work. What did you make the yoke cover out of?
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Very nice work. What did you make the yoke cover out of?
I made the cover out of STYRENE,
I saw a thread on here about how to make one,
that's actually how I found this site!

Magnavox300
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM
consoleguy67 consoleguy67 is offline
60s Throwback
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 561
Was this set out of Ronkonkoma, NY?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by consoleguy67 View Post
Was this set out of Ronkonkoma, NY?
It was!
I guess you saw it too.
The woman who sold it to me had it listed for 4 weeks,
and nobody bought it.
I think God had it waiting for me-

Magnavox300
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Can we see the turntable set-up? The EV stylus is not hard to run across.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Can we see the turntable set-up? The EV stylus is not hard to run across.
Here are a couple pics of the turntable.
Before and after.
I think my favorite part of this project was cleaning it up!

Magnavox300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7895.jpg (87.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9589.jpg (67.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9593.jpg (54.8 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
When I was a youngun, we had a 2 cabinet console stereo that used this turntable. The wonderful Micromatic by Collaro. I still say this is the best automatic turntable there is. The late 60's version isn't nearly as good.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
When I was a youngun, we had a 2 cabinet console stereo that used this turntable. The wonderful Micromatic by Collaro. I still say this is the best automatic turntable there is. The late 60's version isn't nearly as good.
The Mag dealer I worked at used to get a bunch of turntables in the shop every November. After not using them all year, we would clean and lubricate the motors, idlers and platters. we even had a jig to do it
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Somehow WW2 movies just look better on a B/W set...(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.