![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm seeing white!
A friend of mine has dropped off his elderly grandmother's TV set to see if I can fix it. It's a crap mid-2000s Durabrand/Sylvania/Funai 13" CRT. The issue is that the picture is VERY bright, like a flashlight even. (In the attached screenshot, the boxes with text at top right and bottom left are supposed to be jet black!) I actually had to tone down the G2 control to get any picture at all - before this, all you could see was white. When there is no signal, the screen is properly black, but the TV menu text appears blown out. There are also several horizontal lines across the top section of the display. (These lines do not appear with no signal.) I know this TV is probably not worth it to fix, but I didn't have the heart to tell my buddy that, because his granny apparently is attached to this set. I offered him a very similar all-black cabinet Sylvania and he said if possible, he'd rather get the Durabrand repaired. After examination it appears this TV has been left on for most of its life. Lots of dust, and slight burn on the CRT around the edges of their cable box's raster.
EDIT: I apologize for the incorrectly rotated image. I don't know why this is happening and it's outside of my control.
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
This sounds a LOT like the loss of the video bias voltage to the collectors of the V-out transistors on the CRT board(possible one or three IC'S istead). This is around 200 volts, sometimes as high as 250, sometimes as low as 170. it almostr ALWAYS comes from the flyback--through a rectifier and cap.
Thee is a resistor in line with the diode from1 ohm to 10 ohms usually.. and it sometimes OPENS, sometimes due to a shorted diode. . As a result...the cathode does NOT get its "positive bias" and tends to float towards ground through the driver. This results in excessive broght ness and weak, often negative video. |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
As to the image rotation, it's set by modern digital cameras in the EXIF file. AK and VK for some reason either strip it, or reassign landscape/portrait. No worry - we all need the exercise...altogether now..and a TILT, 1, TILT, 2, TILT, 3...
__________________
Brian USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal) CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88) "Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79" When fuses go to work, they quit! |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
I've fixed a few Funai sets with this problem and they used an underrated glass diode in the supply for the video output stage. This diode will short and burn up the resistor that is associated with it. Replace the diode with a heavier one and replacement of the resistor usually fixes the problem. If these parts are good, check the electrolytic capacitor in the supply line (usually between 2.2uf and 10uf, at least 200V). If all that is good, junk the set and find her another 13" TV.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Those lines at the top of the screen may be caused by a faulty boost capacitor in the vertical circuit. It will be located near the vertical output IC and will likely be either a 100uf or 220uf (may possibly be a 47uf). This is a high failure part in all recent CRT TV's and if it's not attended to, it will eventually burn up the vertical output IC.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look-see and follow up when I find something.
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm having trouble locating the suspect components. Am I looking on the mainboard or the CRT board for the diode and resistor? As for the vertical booster capacitor, there are two caps near the vertical IC heatsink that could be it; one is a 100uF 160v (nearest the yellow transformer) and one is a 47uF 160v (nearest the flyback) in the photo.
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan Last edited by YamahaFreak; 07-09-2015 at 08:46 PM. |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Pretty sure that is NOT the vertical area...I see a SMPS transformer--looks like the power supply.
As for the 200 volt diode and capp--likely it will be near the flyback, and colse to a connector that leads off to the CRT board. It will come right off of a flyback pin--usually through the resistor and then to the diode and cap (perhaps a 4.7/250 ,10/250 or such) and then to the CRT board. |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Perhaps this is what I'm looking for? Resistor and diode at edge of mainboard, near cable leading to CRT board, though the diode isn't a glass one. None of the other capacitors match the suggested values to look for.
I think I've found the vert IC - a seven-pin device resembling a large transistor, that's mounted to a heatsink near the tuner. (It's visible at lower right.)
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan Last edited by YamahaFreak; 07-09-2015 at 10:37 PM. |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
The vertical IC will likely be a stand-up device on a small heatsink. The capacitors in this area will likely be no more than 50 volts.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Good luck getting her fixed and working ok
|
![]() |
|
|