Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:10 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
Massive VCR Haul!

Shout out to Damen who introduced me to his friend in Atlanta. I visited his house today, and he very graciously showed me his incredible collection. He gave me 7 vintage VCR's, 2 vintage vacuums, and an early 70's Sylvania color TV. I can't thank you enough, Danny, and I can't wait to visit again soon. I would upload pictures, but I keep getting "413 Entity too large" error. So here is a list.

RCA VBT-200
RCA VDT-501
RCA VDT-600
RCA VFT-650
Panasonic PV-1200
Panasonic PV-1770
Newer top load Quasar
Early 70's Sylvania color TV
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Findm-Keepm's Avatar
Findm-Keepm Findm-Keepm is offline
Followin' the Rules...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Shout out to Damen who introduced me to his friend in Atlanta. I visited his house today, and he very graciously showed me his incredible collection. He gave me 7 vintage VCR's, 2 vintage vacuums, and an early 70's Sylvania color TV. I can't thank you enough, Danny, and I can't wait to visit again soon. I would upload pictures, but I keep getting "413 Entity too large" error. So here is a list.

RCA VBT-200
RCA VDT-501
RCA VDT-600
RCA VFT-650
Panasonic PV-1200
Panasonic PV-1770
Newer top load Quasar
Early 70's Sylvania color TV
Nice haul indeed. If ya need any oddball stuff for the Sylvania, lemme know - I've got my dad's stash of old Sylvania parts and some flybacks.
__________________
Brian
USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal)
CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88)
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:30 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
OK, thanks! The first thing I have to do is fix the convergence. And I'm not too familiar with convergence on these.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
The TV works awesome with no adjustments needed! I will be cleaning it and putting it in service next week. The VCR's are a different story, though. All the piano key VCR's need belts and idlers REALLY bad. I will be compiling a list of all the VCR belts I need and buying them from Studio Sound Electronics soon.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2015, 09:21 PM
damen's Avatar
damen damen is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Shout out to Damen who introduced me to his friend in Atlanta. I visited his house today, and he very graciously showed me his incredible collection. He gave me 7 vintage VCR's, 2 vintage vacuums, and an early 70's Sylvania color TV. I can't thank you enough, Danny, and I can't wait to visit again soon. I would upload pictures, but I keep getting "413 Entity too large" error. So here is a list.

RCA VBT-200
RCA VDT-501
RCA VDT-600
RCA VFT-650
Panasonic PV-1200
Panasonic PV-1770
Newer top load Quasar
Early 70's Sylvania color TV
You are very welcome and good to see you made it over there. Danny is a really awesome guy and its awesome to see you got some very cool stuff you wanted.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
When I got there, the first VCR I noticed was the RCA VDT-600 on the table, and I wondered why it was there since I didn't see it in the pictures. Turns out that somebody dropped it off on his porch that morning! Boy, I sure can't wait to get these gems working again! The VDT-501 is doing something weird, though. It will try to play a tape, but it can't since the belts are shot. But sometimes it will fast forward and rewind, and other times it won't do a thing when you press FF and REW. No motor sound, nothing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-20-2015, 12:21 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
I've got an RCA just like the left one just in front of the TV...The darn thing actually worked from time to time.

Is that Sylvania hybrid or SS?
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-20-2015, 07:34 AM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
It's a solid state. I'll get more pictures and info up as it comes. I have to go see family today so no work will get done. The RCA VDT-600 is pretty messed up. The buttons are all jammed up. Stop won't pop up, REW won't pop up, it's a mess. I'll get videos of them up soon.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:13 AM
pac.attack76's Avatar
pac.attack76 pac.attack76 is offline
Stuck in the past
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,311
The one in front looks like my VCT200 from 78. Picked it up from a landfill. Now missing a knob because of this. One pic is before they tossed and another after.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
That's a sweet VCR. Same mechanically as the VBT200, but different trim. Another problem I'm having with the PV-1200 is that the brakes don't work. They've gotten a little better, but the tape will still spill out when I press stop. Anyone know how to fix VCR brakes?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-21-2015, 04:29 AM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,735
Very nice!!!!

I do hope they all work and provide the beauty they all can
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-2015, 04:01 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
Thanks, but as of late they are not cooperating. I spent all morning cleaning and fixing the VBT200, but all I got was off speed playback and a rotten picture. I only replaced the loading belt, but it appears I'll have to spend $17.95 on a belt kit from Studio Sound Electronics.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
I noticed that all of your VCRs are top-loading units from the late 1970s and early 1980s, funny that you mention "off-speed" playback because I'm having similar issues with my early 1980s Hitachi VT-8500A, its playing way too fast (its playing back almost like Alvin and the Chipmunks speed, where the voices sound kind of high-pitched and really fast almost like a 33 RPM record being played back at 45 RPM speed, and there are noise bars in the video almost like the noise bars you get when you do a forward visual search on a 4-head VCR that hasn't been cleaned in a while.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Thanks, but as of late they are not cooperating. I spent all morning cleaning and fixing the VBT200, but all I got was off speed playback and a rotten picture. I only replaced the loading belt, but it appears I'll have to spend $17.95 on a belt kit from Studio Sound Electronics.
OMG! That Emerson TV appears to be the exact model I had as the first TV I owned (was a garage sale set) when I was a kid...Had to give it to a neighbor in a move since the car was overfilled already. Would you mind posting the model number and screen size? If you ever head up this way I would not mind buying it.





Captinclock: On that machine that is running off speed...Makesure the capstan/pinch roller is pinching the tape and controlling it's speed. I've seen rollers loose grip/pinch, and the tape speed became regulated by the take up reel instead of the capstan....The playback was off speed and the video was awefull since the synchronizing system was trying to deal with one of the important elements it controls not responding...
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
OMG! That Emerson TV appears to be the exact model I had as the first TV I owned (was a garage sale set) when I was a kid...Had to give it to a neighbor in a move since the car was overfilled already. Would you mind posting the model number and screen size? If you ever head up this way I would not mind buying it.





Captinclock: On that machine that is running off speed...Makesure the capstan/pinch roller is pinching the tape and controlling it's speed. I've seen rollers loose grip/pinch, and the tape speed became regulated by the take up reel instead of the capstan....The playback was off speed and the video was awefull since the synchronizing system was trying to deal with one of the important elements it controls not responding...
OK, well I'll check into the pincher issue as well. I did notice that this machine uses the same motor from the capstan assembly to control the take-up reel...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.