![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Sony SL-300 Betamax VCR eject problems
Hello everyone I'm currently working on a mid-1980s Sony SL-300 SuperBeta Betamax VCR that is having issues with not wanting to eject the tape, it plays, rewinds, fast-forwards, and pauses just fine but when you go to try and eject the tape the eject mechanism will load the tape back into the cassette housing and attempt to unload the tape from the VCR but then instead of ejecting the tape out of the VCR it makes a loud clicking noise like the mechanism is jammed or something (its a direct drive loading/eject mechanism with a worm gear that is driven by a small 12 volt Marbuchi motor) and then the tape goes back into the VCR where the mechanism loads the tape back around the heads again.
By the way this my first time ever working on a Betamax machine as I have never seen one in person before until now let alone service one, only thing I know about Betamax is that my parents wedding was filmed on beta, and that's it. Any ideas as to what could be causing the issues with this Betamax's loading/eject mechanism? Any help would be appreciated. -Levi |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Others may have better ideas, but I would watch the unloading attempt and reload that happens, and see if that same motor does both actions by reversing direction, and also look to see if it or another specific motor and/or belt setup does the actual cassette raising and lowering or not. If the one motor seems that it should do everything, you could try hitting Eject, and pulling the power plug right when the tape unload is complete, then try manually spinning the motor further in that direction while carefully analyzing/encouraging the cassette raising action. It could be a lubrication problem or something that got jammed.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
I had a Sony beta where there was a guide tab broke off on the cassette holder part of the load mechanism that rode in a track (there was one on each side) and that tab being busted off prevented the mech form ejecting.
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Where would that guide tab be? So I could see if maybe that's what happened with this one.
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Assuming yours is a front-loader....There is a a tray the cassette rides in between the play position and ejected position. There will be plastic/metal guides/tracks on both sides of that tray. The tracks should have an L shaped slot in them that the tab/pin of the tray rides in as a guide....There is at least one on each side of the tray in most VCRs.
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
If you eventually decide you can't fix yours and want to part it out/get rid of it, post some pictures of the capstan motor....If it is the right one I'd be interested in buying it off you.....When I changed the cap my soldering iron melted a bit of the plastic tire on the capstan rotor.....That tire is essentially a loop of magnetic tape that is read by a tape head to make a speed feedback signal...It don't play quite right with a melt spot.
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
If "you took the mechanism apart and a piece fell out", then you definitely need to figure out exactly what it is and where it belongs before anything else is done. Of course, it could have even been a piece of a toy that a child put inside once, but you need to find out for sure. There is no point in even thinking about any other repair action until that is known and fixed, first.
This kind of "oops" event has happened to most of us, and the only solution is to learn from it, typically by being even more attentive, even when we though we were paying high attention to detail already.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Well, plan B might be to just look over the whole mechanism to see if a piece might have broken off somewhere. I remember having a part of the mechanism in my first VCR break off, and I rigged something in place to fix it. That was in 1980, on a one-hour Beta machine.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
Try (with the unit unplugged) turning the motor shaft/worm gear by hand (try to manually move the tray through it's full load/unload cycle) and see how much resistance there is....It is possible the grease on the load gears is starting to act more like glue....It's been about 5 years since I worked on mine, but IIRC the cassette load mech needed needed some fresh grease.
Load motors usually are not a high failure item in Sonys (you could try removing it letting it free run, and maybe applying mech resistance with your fingers to check it). Only load motor I've ever had to change was in a NEC S-VHS deck.
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Also is the Inside of the VCR I'm working on the same as the inside of yours? |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
It's been 5 years since I last opened mine, so the memories are foggy. It's under a pile of stuff on a shelf presently so it might be a couple of days before I can get it open again...
__________________
Tom C. Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off! What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4 |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|