Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
An Admiral for Father's Day

I had posted awhile back asking what kind of Admiral my Dad had as his first tv:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=246594

Bgadow said he had a similar one in kinda rough shape. I had been meaning to head down his way and meet him, so I made a road trip. I brought it home, and in spite of a bad finish, it was otherwise complete, only missing its masonite back:
January 092.jpg

January 093.jpg

January 091.jpg

January 094.jpg

I am nearly done refinishing the cabinet now, but I am still stumped on the same issue Bgadow was having with the thing. When the set's contrast is turned down, you lose all video, leaving a blank raster. When you turn up the contrast all the way, the picture returns and overloads. You get a poor but stable picture for maybe an 8th of a twist of the contrast knob (on this set, the contrast is part of the antenna circuit). All voltages check out fine, all tuner and IF tubes have been subbed out. The set has been recapped. I can run the set just fine inputing video straight to the video amp, but I'd like to know what is happening here-I'm sure Bgadow would like to know, too.

I've been using the Rider's available on the ETF (30A14), if anyone wants to follow along:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_sc..._diagrams.html

I'm working along to get this thing ready for Father's Day (looks like I'll be seeing Dad on Monday). I'm still more focused on the cabinet causing delays more than anything else. I only have to put the top clearcoat of lacquer on now...
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.