Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
1958 Zenith 18C24Q VIDEO DETECTOR DIODE?

I am still hoping to find someone familiar with this generation of Zenith chassis. Zenith used this chassis design for many years. I have been squawking about this old Zenith forever, so I am going to just take up where I left off in other posts in regards to repair attempts to try to keep from repeating everything. Anyway, today I used a megger to check the winding insulation integrity of the vertical output transformer in hope of restoring vertical sweep. I didn't find anything wrong with transformer, however, I did find that the vertical hold potentiometer gives erratic resistance readings. Perhaps that will be a lead in the vertical trouble.

NOW, I was wondering if anybody knows much about the video detector diode M2 . I was surprised to find a solid state diode on a 1958 schematic, but there is one there with a couple of inductor coils in the third video IF stage. One of the coils (L6-81mH peaking coil) that is directly connected to the diode is open. I have a volume adjustable hum for sound and I was just wondering what effect, if any, that this bad diode and open coil may have on anything other than obviously the video section. Could it produce the hum if say it was shorted? Also, would it show the same or similar readings as any other solid state diode like a 1N4004? Could I use the 1N4004 as a replacement? I am hoping in a big way that this might be at least a lead in getting somewhere with this old Space Command. This was a re-cap with no positive results and I have never been able to do voltage checks due to the lack of a test crt, so I am stuck with an ohm meter as my only weapon for now. These were supposedly great performers and ther is no reason why I shouldn't be able to get this thing going. I would love to have a large 24" screen, fifties REMOTE set for daily use!

Last edited by Tubejunke; 12-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.