Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #7  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Gambr1nus Gambr1nus is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
I must apologize for not providing pictures of my journey to restore this tv. I have a 10 year old sony digital camera but the batteries are shot and I didn't feel like have to sacrifice a plug-in to take pictures. One day this week I may get some pictures up here because I know I like to follow along and view the handiwork of someone else when they have a continuing build or restoration.

I started cutting the old electrolytic(s) out, I usually start with replacing these and move on the the paper caps. Mica and cermaic will be checked on an individual basis. What I noticed was that while one whole can cap had been replace by a tech sometime in the later 60s, an addition to the circuit had been added because one of the 3 caps inside can 2 had went bad. I also noticed the original Wells Gardner picture tube had been replaced with an RCA Silverama. There had been some crazy mess of wires added to complete a circuit, or act as a ground. I have removed it and will identify it's implied function later.

I have a friend with a high end hickok at his guitar store so he invited me over for dinner (while he's at work) and a night of playing with the tube tester. I can't wait.

I have two questions for y'all, where do y'all order caps from? I traditionally ordered from mouser but they aren't carrying the values I need for this project. Digikey has what I need but they are no stock items and I have to order a minimum of 25.

Also, since one original can has already been lost, should I save myself the trouble of re-stuffing these cans, or should I aim to preserve what is available? I know that on radio restoration boards they would balk at the idea of leaving a gaping hole in a chassis where a can once was mounted. I think I will do the repair work and get the tv running but save the cans if I ever aim to mount them again.

I plan on hitting up an older electronics store in town in the hopes that they may stock what I am needing. I am pretty doubtful and they will most likely have to order what I need and charge an exorbitant fee.

The values I need are:

c1 150uF @ 150v
c2a 125uF @ 300v
c2b 20uF @ 300v
c2c 20uf @ 50v
c3a 125uF @ 300v
c3b 60uF @ 300v
c3c 40uF @ 50v
c4 4uF @ 50v

Last edited by Gambr1nus; 12-13-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.