Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
When I worked in radio/TV operating cameras I remember broadcast cameras at least used to have an area marked off inside the viewfinder that you were supposed to keep the most important parts of the picture in (like people's heads) and I think this represented the area of the round color picture tube.

The effect on a round set would be the same as if you increased both the width and height controls on a rectangular...the edges are just outside of the area of the tube. It would be possible to see the whole picture on a round color tube if you "underscanned" both the height and width.

I know rectangular studio monitors of the late 90's allowed you to underscan the picture to make sure you saw all of the edges of the picture...did the round color studio monitors also have such a feature, or were they adjusted by default to underscan the picture?
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
matt_s78mn's Avatar
matt_s78mn matt_s78mn is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
When I worked in radio/TV operating cameras I remember broadcast cameras at least used to have an area marked off inside the viewfinder that you were supposed to keep the most important parts of the picture in (like people's heads) and I think this represented the area of the round color picture tube.
...don't mean to hijack the thread, but this brings up a pet pieve of mine. The station were I work has robotic cameras in the studio now, as do a lot of modern TV studios, and we have Marshal 5" flat panel LCD monitors in production control... Well, some of the technical directors don't realize that the LCD panels display the entire video frame, and they adjust the shots based on what they're seeing in those displays. So... when I'm at home watching the newscast on a CRT TV, the framing looks odd.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.