Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #10  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:57 PM
TV Engineer TV Engineer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 93
Once, many years ago...

when I was in High School, I was given a Magnavox 21" round color theatre with a U45 chassis in it. I liked the set, and of course the stereo, but I didn't like that "big, old fashioned" round screen staring at me in my bedroom (it was a low end theatre, and did not have doors on it.) Besides, the corners were cut off on a round CRT, and I wanted to see the whole picture.

I worked at a Magnavox service center, so there were lots of old sets around that were scrapped, and the chassis and other usable parts thrown into the cellar for future use.

I had a 23VAQP22 CRT that had been salvaged from and Admiral color set, and I wondered if I could adapt this tube to my Mag theatre. The answer was yes, and it was actually easy.

From the cellar of the shop, I scared up a mask for a set that used a 25AP22 with all of the hardware and the shield, a yoke, and a convergence board. These probably came from a set that used the U904 or U911 chassis, as they were the first 2 that Magnavox made that used the rectangular CRT. Since Magnavox was pretty consistant with hardware patterns, the new mask replaced the old without having to drill a single hole. I rewired the yoke to match the 4 wire configuration of the old 21" round yoke, and using a schematic from each chassis, was able to match the wiring to the convergence board 1 for 1. Then, of course, I replaced the CRT socket.

The results were amazing.

The set performed as if it were designed to use the 23" CRT, with absolutely no convergence, width, or pincushion problems whatsoever. I realize that most of this was dumb luck now.

I would NEVER do it again. I've learned to like that "old fashioned" CRT staring at me!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.